I don't understand why he is doing this!!

My son has been a great sleeper since he was born. Lastnight he woke up 4 or 5 times, just crying. He has slept through the night since he was 2 weeks old, now he is 13 months and he just won't sleep. He didn't go to bed until about 1am and woke up a few times between then and 6am. I think he is finally sleeping now, maybe he will sleep in till 11(if I get lucky) He was a little sick but now he is doing pretty good, I just can't understand why he isn't sleeping right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• could he be teething? sometimes sickness can actually be teething...my daughter would run a fever and have a runny nose when teething...also maybe its possible he is having night mares...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Well the first time he woke up he was scared because his blankie was over his head(just draped over) and he couldn't get it off. You know how when you wake up it takes a while to get your brain going, he was just so freaked out about it. Now that I think about it maybe he was still scared about that??????

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Did he recently have immunizations?

It's normal for a 13 mo to wake at night. My grandson is that age and wakes up several times at night to nurse. He is very good at nursing and my DIL hardly wakes up. It doesn't bother them that he wakes at night. Now if he was weaned and they had to make him a snack ...

It may have been last night. If he does it again you might try giving him something to eat.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:00 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• He may have an ear infection, especially if he's been sick recently. It's always been the first sign of it in my kids, even at an older age.
    Anonymous

• I would think he's just getting sick or teething. If it continues for more than a couple of weeks then I would look into other possibilities, but it sounds pretty normal. My 3 year old and 11 month old have nights like that every now and then when they're getting sick.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• It could have been a fluke. Wait until it becomes a habit before you start worrying about it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2009