Spin-off from swine flu post

There is a post that says 65 children have died from the illness. I googled the information and found it to be 19 children. Where did the figure of "65" from? Here's my source.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091009/icu_091009/20091009?hub=TopStoriesV2

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In 1957 there was the Asian Flu -70,000 people died as a result. I had it-I was in high school then--and while it was really a tough one, I survived and we didn't panic. There were no flu shots ....at least nobody I knew had a shot. If we could make it then we can make it now. The thing is, the H1N1 flu is a big news story...makes headlines...gives the reporters and local news show something to talk about. Just wash your hands, eat well and don't destroy your immune system by overeating.drinking too much or smoking funny cigarettes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Child deaths from swine flu are rising in the United States, with 19 flu-related deaths reported in the last week alone, U.S. health officials said Friday.

"Nineteen more pediatric deaths for influenza were reported to us this week. We're now up to 76 children having died from the 2009 H1N1 virus," said Anne Schuchat, of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"To put that in context: in the past three years, the total pediatric influenza deaths ranged from 46 - 88. We've already had 76 children dying from the H1N1 virus and it's only the beginning of October," said Schuchat, who is the director of CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases
    READ WHAT ITS SAYS 19 THIS WEEK ALONE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• •The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and now exceeds what is normally expected at this time of year. In addition, 19 flu-related pediatric deaths were reported this week; 16 of these deaths were confirmed 2009 H1N1 and 3 were unsubtyped influenza A and likely to be 2009 H1N1. A total of 76 laboratory confirmed 2009 H1N1 pediatric deaths have been reported to CDC since April.

If you go to the site it will give you the breakdown.
    http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• They said 70 on the Today show this morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I think the CDC knows the count!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• The media is likely "rounding up" numbers, because it makes for sensational headlines and ratings, and those are the ones that sell/make money--you know, like the 50 million Americans that do not have health insurance--not that 40 + million have chosen NOT to enroll/apply (or aren't aware that they qualify)--that's not as "salacious" as 50 Million! ugh.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Actually the CDC is NOT posting accurate information. They do NOT post the tally of the dead anymore. Read thier site they say that. All the information came from STATE websites and from sites around the world. The US government is NOT being honest with the people regarding this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I get confused about this whole thing. Do they post the numbers of deaths from just the regular old flu. As far as I can tell, about 37,000 people die every year from the flu. Why all the panic about this strain of flu? I don't want to get any flu of any strain, so I wash my hands, and I try to stay healthy. Check out the CDC site.
    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Sorry, I meant to take the question about posting numbers out. OOPS!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• While that is sad over 166 children died last week in car accidents. That happens every week and is one of the leading causes of death in children. Many were not properly restrained.

Anonymous