Coping with Major Separation Anxiety

My 3 yr old has started her first daycare for 2 weeks now. I have the hardest time with her in the morning getting her ready for "school", she refuses to get ready and crys the whole time.
The teachers at the school say she's fine after I leave, but it still makes it very stressful for me in the morning.
I've tried everything I could think of, including quitting my job! Please help with any ideas to make mornings go smoother!

leoni

Asked by leoni at 8:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She needs to be focused on the fun she will have at school so that she looks forward to leaving. Ask her about her plans for the next day as soon as she gets picked up. When you get home and she has her snack, talk with her about the future plans. Pick out an out fit for the next day that is perfect for her future plans. In the morning at breakfast, tell her how excited you are that she is going to XYZ that day. If her focus is on something fabulous that she can't have or do until she gets to school, then she'll want to go.

I would also check it out to make sure she is getting on well with the other children, no bullies, no crappy adults, no disgusting snacks, no problems with the potty, etc.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:24 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't call it school. I would call it what it is.
    She may do much better with someone caring for her in your home or a mom with only a couple of kids caring for her in her home. A day care center should be last choice.
    Put her to bed in her clothes. Take her, her shoes, and her breakfast in a bag to the day care center. Then there is no more getting in the morning.
    If you can quit your job I think your little one is letting you know how important you are. You should feel honored. Some kids don't care.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:49 AM on Oct. 10, 2009