What "collar" are you and your family?

I'm asking because someone in another question said they are blue collar and Republicans are not for blue collar workers. I guess I always thought blue collar and Republicans went together, what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Blue here and I would say as far from Republican as possible. I have always thought that because every Republican I've ever known, heard or seen on tv looks down on blue collar and manual laborers. Until they need something fixed anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• never thought about that before, OP. because i work with my hands, stand on my feet all day, have backaches and sore feet, carpel tunnel, etc...i always considered myself a manual-laborer/blue collar. my dh, though, is also a hard-worker..he stands on his feet all day, has backaches, carpel tunnel, works 10hrs days/5-6days a week... but as a pharmacist, makes a great salary, too. so together, we are in a higher tax-bracket..does that mean we are white collar? (btw..we are repub. and libertarian.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I think many blue collar families have conservative values and tend to lean toward the right. Democrats historically like to make the sort of changes that end up costing the lower/middle and middle income families more money in taxes. This administration is no different. Some of their more ambitious proposals will raise taxes for middle America, yet they keep lying about that. They simply can't keep that promise. They will call them something other than taxes, but it will be the middle that is pinched financially.

I saw that comment in another question and thought it was terribly naive. Another poster said that neither party is for the blue collar worker and I agree with that. Both parties are only about special interests and getting agenda passed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Just went back there OP and responded.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Im a waitress and bf is a cook and we are as republican as they come. Not sure if those are considered blue collar but I think they are
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Labor unions are traditionally "blue collar" and Democrat. The idea of social programs to benefit working people is historically a Democratic concept. The idea of taxing large corporations to pay for social programs for blue collar folks is Democratic.

Republicans historically provide tax breaks to corporations in order to allow money to "trickle down" to the working class. They believe a low minimum wage will create job growth by improving corporate cash flow.

The current Dem party is not like this. The current Republican party is not like this. Neither party is upholding its core values. They are both owned by lobbyists and will do anything for a dollar. They both win when we argue. When we side with a party, we side with lobbyists, not values.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:13 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• It used to be blue collar were men who wore blue work shirts, working class, where more apt to be union, and democrat. White collar were men who were execs, upper class, and republican. Women voted how their husbands voted.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I grew up in a very "blue collar" working poor family. I chose to make a better life for myself, and opted to become educated, and pursue a "white collar" profession. Does that make me a bad person?! (sarcasm)

My husband grew up the same, and did the same. We have never forgotten where we came from, and have never looked down on "blue collar" workers. MANY of the blue collar" workers make MORE money and have more trade related skills (ie auto mechanic, plumber, electrician) than my husband and I do in our "white collar" professions!

Looking down on ANYONE who maintains legal and steady employment is being a snob--no matter what your income bracket may be!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• White collar and we are democrats.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Blue collar people are typically too poor to be democratic. Democrats spend too much money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2009