Some kids, some dogs, and harrassment....what should she do?

I have a friend who I talked to last night and she said that there are two neighbor kids who keep banging on her door, making her dogs bark like crazy and then they take off thinking it's funny. The kids are about 9-11 years old.

Anyway, she's told these kids not to do that because it upsets the dogs.(two little chihuahuas)She said now anytime someone knocks on the door or rings the bell the dogs go nuts.

A few nights ago one of the dogs got out and scratched one of the troublemakers. The mom left a message on her phone and said that she was going to call animal control on the dogs if she can't keep them locked up because it scratched one kid. My friend didn't call the police on her two kids for harassing her dog and trespassing on her property either.

The dog got out when my friends kids opened the door. It's not like she doesn't watch her animals or let them roam freely(no-leash) outside like some pet owners.(cont)

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 9:33 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If this were you, what would you do about those kids? As far as the dogs go, she's going to a install baby gate in the front door to make sure they don't get out again. I told her to post signs "no trespassing" "beware of dog" and a home made note on the door saying "please do not ring the bell more than once or knock more than twice". If those kids come back wouldn't she have legal recourse with those signs on her home?(the kids can read)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 9:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Thats bs and she should confront this mother. Animal cant do anything if they opened teh door. Tell her to keep her door locked from now on to at least avoid that type of shit.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• animal controll I meant to say
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Maybe she can diable the doorbell until it blows over. She should video tape it the next time she sees them coming ur way. Id keep record that way you have evidence. Im not sure what the kids will get into trouble for since they are young but it may get the parents in trouble since they are responsible for where their kids are
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Go right over to the rotten kids and talk to both parents if they have both parents. Let's all think for a second, what mother wants to admit her kids are rotten and not listening to her? Yes, all of us. That's why we have the phrase, "Oh you just wait until your father comes home." Even though we all know fathers are really softies and pushovers (at least my SO is), Dad scares the crap out of kids. The father will set them straight.

Your friend needs to post a beware of dog sign. In many counties a sign reduces bite liability. If someone is trespassing and gets bitten, it's the trespassers fault.

I personally would sneak up on the little bastards and hit them with the garden hose on the high power nozzle.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:56 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I would find out if the people at animal control are nice. If they are I would tell them what's going on. That way they know if she calls. They may even go over and talk to her and/or the kids.

What's up with these kids. She may be able to deal with the situation better. Put a note on the door saying. "Nice little boys, I baked cookies for you. I would like you to come in and meet my little dogs so they can get to know you." If she sees them be really nice. If it stops being fun then they won't do it any more.

She could work with the dogs so they don't go crazy when someone is at the door. I've trained my dog to not bark at all when someone is at the door. It didn't do it on purpose. We didn't want her barking when we came home. She does bark if someone is messing around the house somewhere else.

She got no attention (right away) if she barked, lots of attention if she didn't.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I know this is wrong....but sometimes you just have to take things into your own hands. Next time they come over, invite them in. Grab each of them tight on the trapezius muscle (don't worry, it's unlikely that you'll leave a mark). Squeeze tight, and extremely firmly tell them that you will not tolerate this ever again and make them aware that this is the only warning they will recieve, don't test it. Let them run away. They certainly won't be able to prove that you invited them in and did this....you can always guess what's going on in the kids life. Kids that do this, do not have very attentive parents and they won't even bother to tell the parents and if they do, the folks won't believe them.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't post a "beware of dog" sign. This says that she knew the dogs were dangerous and should have taken extreme care to make sure they didn't get out. It sounds like your friend is doing the best she can. You said one of the dogs got out when the neighbor child opened the door--did the child open the door without being invited in? That is trespass and well worth pursuing.
    "I personally would sneak up on the little bastards and hit them with the garden hose on the high power nozzle." This is a good idea, sends a strong message but doesn't physically harm the little brats. (On the other hand, it is sure to enrage their mother!) 
    If your friend gets videotaped proof of harassment by these children she can take the parents to court. The fact is, those children are going to get older and bolder and they will graduate to doing more than trespass, since their mother apparently doesn't  mind their actions.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Oh forgot to say, putting her hands on the kids could very well result in assault charges and is a VERY bad idea! PLEASE don't encourage her to do this, as tempting as it sounds. The mother sounds exactly like the type that would bring all sorts of hell down on your friend's head if she dared to touch her hooligans  precious darlings.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:27 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I like the videotape idea--get some proof & then drop a copy off with the parents & tell them if the behavior doesn't stop, the police will be called. I would also tell her to disable the bell & then work on training her dogs not to bark when someone knocks on the door. She also needs to establish a safe place for the dogs when a legitimate person is at the door (behind a gate or in a crate or kennel) to reduce their stress. I would NOT put out a beware of dog sign. In many states, this is considered knowledge of a dangerous animal & could prevent insurance from paying our for a dog bite or injury.

If she wants to have any peace in her neighborhood, she needs to work with the parents. If she is forced to call the police, the kids will stop knocking on her door but I am sure they will find other ways of tormenting her--egging her place or something. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 10, 2009