Flu letters from schools

Yesterday we received a letter from the school a out their new cold and flu policy.
The cold policy didn't change much except that they will be stricter with enforcing it. The flu policy is such that students with flu like symptoms should be kept home for a min of 10 days and 24 his after symptoms have subsided. All school age family members should also remain at home. If more than. 10% of a school is absent then school will be closed for 10 days

Are other school coming up with policies like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ha! I'm writing policy!!!!

The CDC came out with new information last week, Tuesday or Wednesday I think. It pretty much said that if flu is widespread in the community, individual school districts should come up with their own policies, and check with local health departments if they have questions. One of the hardest things I heard was NOT to send all of these sick individuals to doctors, or require notes from docs to return to school, because the health care system can not absorb that much! So, it is recommended to keep sick individuals out of school/work LONGER to cut the risk of spreading it more. Some thing like "if your child or a family member has flu like symptoms please stay home for 10 days and we will not require for a doctor's note to return".

I don't know. I haven't changed our policy yet in a preschool with almost 1000 kids.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Wow, that seems a bit much since many times a child will come down with flu-like symptoms and are better the next day or so. Ten days is a lot if the child is well, afebrile, and active.

Our schools have stated that they will close for 2 weeks if the health department recommends it due to an outbreak in the area. Other than that, they ask that if our child misses school due to being ill, to please not send them back until they have been afebrile for at least 24 hours without fever-reducing medication.

I know that decisions are being made depending upon the history in that particular state and school district. They rely on the health department and CDC for statistical information.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2009