Thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091008/ap_on_go_co/us_gays_hate_crimes

It is a bill whose time has come thanks to our current President this will be a reality as soon as next week!!!!

Asked by older at 11:11 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • its about time and i am glad it will finally be passed--i really don't care how they do it (piggy backing bills is not the invention of the obama administration as some on here seem to believe).
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 11:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• *gag* gay rights
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• deal with it, more is coming!

Answer by older at 11:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• ALL violent crimes are HATE crimes. So if my white dh gets killed by a black man does the black man get charged with a HATE crime...yes/no? Or is his life less valuable because he is a white heterosexual? This is just silly.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• And before you get all gay pride pissy...my Aunt ...whom I love DEARLY and TWO of my cousins are lesbians. My aunt has been with her partner for over 10 yrs and SHE is a lovely woman. We are staying with them in a few weeks for vacation where I will be *gasp* exposing my children to their "lifestyle". They are gay...yes. But they arent my-entire-life-is-wrapped-up-in-shoving-my-lifestyle-down-your-throat-gay. Its a PART of who they are not ALL of who they are.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• momof30404, this one is extending the application to gays under federal law, and there is nothing silly about it.

Answer by older at 11:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• It SHOULD be a hate crime to attack someone because of their lifestyle! However I am extremely opposed to this new habit of tucking new legislation into bills it has nothing to do with. This law should not be attached to a defense budget. They did the same da** thing with cash for clunkers. While I am not opposed to the law as it is described in the article, I have to read it to be sure, I'm opposed to the slimy politics.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Why aren't ALL violent crimes HATE crimes? Is there a law that makes Domestic Violence a hate crime? What about black on white crime? Rape, is RAPE a HATE crime under the law. Whats SILLY is singling out ONE group of people and basically saying they are MORE important if THEY are attacked.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• momof030404, the bill is aimed for any violence that depicts race, religion or now sexual orientation.

Answer by older at 11:29 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• No, the bill is aimed for the defense budget. They,ve attached legislation that they think will be unpopular to get it pushed through. The end does NOT justify the means.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2009