Witch Costumes for Halloween...

I have never been bothered by people dressed as witches. But I was on another site just now and a woman was talking about how offencive it is to see kids with witch costumes and big green noses... She said it's like walking around as a pregnant nun (which I was one year). It's offencive to believers of that faith and the costumes should be sold...

What are your thoughs?
**Please keep it civil!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Halloween is meant for that stuff. She def needs to stop thinking so much about a costume and more of what the holiday is all about. I was a devil when I was like 6 and that didnt meant that i wanted to be a devil or worship him in real life. It was fun to dress up.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• If they are walking around with big green noses, that makes me think of the Wizard of Oz, so they aren't really walking around as just a witch but as an actual character. Regardless, something like that wouldn't bother me. I'm Catholic and I don't think the pregnant Nun would have offended me, I might have looked twice, maybe even shook my head, but it's all in fun and nothing that I would have been upset about.

whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:27 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• That reminds me of the episode of Boy Meets World where Shawn is dating a girl played by Candice Cameron, and it's Halloween and she's supposed to be a witch. Some kids knock on the door and she opens it and hands out you candy going "One candy for the little pirate (in a super sweet voice) and one for the little Doctor, and one for the little fireman" The her voice goes really mean to the girl dressed like a witch and she's all "And you don't get any because you mock us!" and slams the door. Hysterical!!!

I'm a witch, and I don't find it offensive at all. I think it's the one time of year when people are willing to accept witches. You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!!
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 11:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• OMG - I LOVE Boy Meets World! I had the biggest crush on Sean... But who didn't ! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I don't find it offensive. First of all it is a legitimate literary character. Also, it is a little disturbing that people find it offensive. Does old or ugly really equal bad? I understand that there was a conscious effort to make that so, but I don't buy it. One can be a crone & be beautiful. One can be disfigured on the outside & be spiritually beautiful. I say we embrace all that was labelled as bad.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Oh the irony of Candice Cameron playing that role - wish I'd seen it!

I don't think much of it (granted I'm not a Wiccan either) but - I also don't throw a fit about obnoxious over-the-top Viking costumes of the fact that they've based an entire comic book series on part of my religion. Was Guido Sarducci offensive? And those with issues over the preggo nun costume should probably never watch Agnes of God.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• IMO, it's a holiday for kids. Let the kids have fun and don't over think it. I can guarantee the little 3 year old girl looking adorable in that little costume did NOT think, "Ooooh, I get to make fun of a religion with this!! Yay!!" when she put it on. She thought "Ooooh, I get to be a witch!! I wonder if I can really do magic now, and how much candy am I gonna get??"
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I love witch costumes. I've was a witch for halloween 4 years in a row! lol. ...my mom used to joke that it was the only time of year society accepted me for who i was. lmao.
    of course, i dressed up as a pretty witch. Not the green ugly ones. But i don't mind. there are soooo many costumes that could be taken offensively. A blood splattered doctor, a dead bride, firemen, soldiers, etc etc. ...It's not meant to be offensive. It's meant to be FUN!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Its about fun so I dont really concern myself with whether or not its real and truthful,etc.

I know and my DH knows and my kids know(those that are old enough to understand anyway LOL) and thats all that matters to me.

Im not out to right any wrongs during Halloween time, Im out to enjoy my evening and get some laughs.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I am Catholic and if someone wants to dress as a pregnant nun go for it. I wouldn't let my kid dress as a pregnant anything just because I am a prude. Being pregnant 8 times I don't find it a costume but a way of life lol

I do let my kids dress up as witches but lets be honest--how many pointy hat, green nose witches do we really see now a days? A costume is a costume.
    Anonymous