Do you think that EVERYONE is racist in some way?

It doesn't matter if you are white, black, Mexican, Asian, or anything in between....I know I am in small ways. What is your take?

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think unless we are immersed in another's racial culture, we will draw our own conclusions where we lack knowledge. That's human nature. Since we do not have the experience or opportunity for that type of immersion in every culture, then yes, we all will be somewhat racist by default if we are raised in one culture. On the other hand, if we are raised in a multiracial culture, I think the tendancy would be to not assume anything about race. In the end, it is individual based on experience, personality and knowledge.

Answer by manna1qd at 9:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I don't know about everyone else but I do not do it intentionally.

Answer by 2kdzmom at 10:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• We all have some pre-conceptions and prejudices, and we should challenge ourselves to overcome them. No one is immune.

Answer by nell_brinkley at 10:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Racism is institutionalized in our culture. I think we all participate in and endorse a racist society, whether we intend to or not.

Answer by feministmama at 10:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Prejudice? Sure. Racist, no.

Answer by thelovehater at 9:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i strongly believe that african americans cause racism for their own kind as well as the people JUST FLAT OUT BEING RACIST.... when they are able to say the "N" word..i dont think its right at ALL.You have the United Negro College Fund.
    You have Martin Luther King Day You have Black History Month.You have Cesar Chavez Day.You have Yom Hashoah You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi You have the NAACP.You have BET. if we had WET we'd be racist if we had caucasion club at school, it'd be the KKK. your proud to be black brown yellow and orange and r proud to anounce it but when we announce our whitepride were racist.

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• You call me "Cracker", "Honkey", "Whitey" and even "The Man" and you think it's OK.

But when I call you, "nigger", "Kike", "Towelhead", "Sand-nigger", "Camel Jockey", "Beaner" or "Chink" you call me a racist.

You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you, so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live??

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I think we all have preconceived notions that tend to be more wrong than right. I think most of us know how and when to play our race cards. For it all to end we need to be honest, and we are not. Racism is still alive and well, but it is more hidden than open. I think it comes from every subgroup and it is inexcusable for any person to use it. I also think out of anger some of the above mentioned words, but that does not make one a true racist, just a stupid person using words. I don't have an answer to end racism, but we all need to be more open and have a desire to learn about our differences instead of using them for good and bad.

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I know I do. I have a big problem with Asian women, they just seem suck up and just not very friendly. But I also have issues with those of my very own race. We all have our own secret racism and some not so secret. I just can't seem to get along with asian women. Like Kimora Simmons, I hate that bitch!!!!

• No, racisim is taught!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is in deed possible to be of one race and not feel any prejudgemental thoughts toward another race. Now there are sterotyping that seems to be harder for people to break from and that has to be taught to be broken. But the point is the two our commonly mixed up. I have heard people like Chris Rock talk about how he feels sorry for the White people because they have to watch what they say in his skits but thats with every race because every race seems to be called racist.

Answer by Tabetha_ruh at 5:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2009