Any one else struggling with 1 Peter 3

says: "Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."

Umm, it is a heartbreaking responsibility, I married him cause he grew up in a faithful home, he knows his bible-but its like he lost it all after the military!

IraqiVetWife

Asked by IraqiVetWife at 11:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think it can be said any better than what Cleanaturalady said it. Having married a man who confessed to once going to church stoned - I deeply understand the value of those worse in 1 Peter, 3. It was hard at first, I worried what he would do and how he would accept my faith and reverence for living in a way that would please God. Now, when I'm down, he's the one sending me scriptures to encourage me or lift me up. Hang on Hon, don't stop praying and don't stop seeking God to help you live like HE would have you live. And don't stop praying for that husband.
    I will be praying for him too, and I'll be praying for you. You're walking a hard road right now, God has some wisdom and learning in it for you, I can promise you that. We always stay where we are until we learn what it is that God needs us to know before we can take that next step or stand on the next lesson.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You are not responsible for your husband's faith journey. I think what this passage is telling us, as wives is that we should be focused on our inner selves and our relationship with God, so that when our husbands interact with us, they will be uplifted and may be also led to seek a deeper relationship with God. When you pray, pray that the Holy Spirit would lead you in the right direction so that you could be the example that your husband needs in his life. Also talk to your husband about it and see what has led to the break-down in his faith.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I'm in a similar position. My husband lost his faith while serving in the military. When we got married I had also fallen from my faith. Now I have come back to God and faith and my husband is extremely anti-Christianity. It has not been easy but I actually meditate on that verse. Allowing my husband to see that my faith shines through into my life... living by example so to speak. And it is working. It is very rare that he now speaks of "ALL" Christians in a negative light, he clarifies what he says better than he used to. It is a struggle but what has helped has communication. We have sat and talked many, many times about faith and Christianity... without arguing, simply talking about what we believe and why and without judgment.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:46 AM on Oct. 10, 2009