Would you buy 2nd hand furniture for your new baby?

This morning I pass by this Yard Sale & there was the perfect crib. I didn't stop because I had to get to the Dr.s. When i got out I when back & some one had bought it already. They only wanted $10 for it. I was ups set because I had the chance at a good deal. Im not sure how safe it is to by a used crib or car set. what do you guys think? Would you by I used crib or any other thing?

Bless2haveU

Asked by Bless2haveU at 12:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If it was in good condtion and the price was right. It was only another little baby in there before yours
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I would only buy wooden (or plastic things that can be bleached clean) like the crib/bed frame or changing table frame. I would never buy anything that had padding, fabric or a mattress that could NOT be washed in the washing machine! You can easily buy an inexpensive mattress or pad for a changing table. It is the frame (if in good condition) that is the expensive part of a crib/table.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My dd used the crib I used when I was born. Even though it was mine it was also threw the family quite a bit. So I consider that the same thing. She was born in 06 and the crib was from 84 lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• girl everything i got for my son was second hand. i saw this excersaucer in a magazine at the doctors office, and i really wanted it cuz it matched the room. it was $150 though! i was planning on going to the thrift store later that day, and good thing i did, cuz i found the exact same one for only $7! it was great. my dd is using the hand me downs from my ds. as for carseats, alot of people don't do it, just to be safe. cuz they don't know if it was in a previous car accident, and you always need to check the expiration date. i never understood why moms have to get everything new....

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I buy alot of things used. Especially if i can throw it in a bathtub with lysol. lol Like bumbo sits highchair, just not stuff like teething toys or used cloth diapers ha ha
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• through*
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• 8 years ago when I was pregnant with my oldest, we bought a used crib and changing tabl
    (a set) for $250. I just needed to be cleaned a little and it was good. My oldest used until until she was 3, because the crib converts into a toddler bed, and my youngest is using it now. I say, as long as it is in good conditon, and looks ok, go for it.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 12:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Cribs and such get recalled all the time
    So I personally wouldnt buy any baby stuff 2nd hand because, well this is my first and I dont want to later find out something was recalled a long time ago and Its sitting in my house.

But I tend to be over worrisome when it comes to other people stuff, try craigslist.org if you are still in need and cant afford a crib
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• yes i would. we dont make a lot of money for brand new. but like new is our goal. Be very careful though. If its cheap buy it and look it up online for recalls. My mil gave me a hand-me-down crib for my 1st dd and I just found out that it was recalled in 2007, and we were using it for my 2nd dd. for carseats check for an expiration date
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I would just make sure it wasn't a recalled model , Cribs are now being made that the side rail doesn't come up & down because of stragulation incidents
    Anonymous