Is my local city animal shelter liable for my other cat?

I adopted a 2 month old kitten from my local city animal shelter. She was fine the first night then started sneezing, drainage from her eyes, not eating. They have a policy that within the first 14 days if the cat gets sick or anything they will treat it at no cost to me. I did take her back on Monday and they said that she has a upper respiratory infection. They gave me some medicine for her. (Clavamox) It hasn't worked. Taking her back to them this afternoon. She has now started sneezing blood. UGH. I've got an older cat "Sassy" She's never been sick. And has in the last few days started sneezing and showing some of the same signs as the kitten did when she first started getting sick. Will I have a leg to stand on if when I go to the shelter to have them look at Abby again Demand them to pay for the treatment of my other cat???

dolphin_whisper

Asked by dolphin_whisper at 12:24 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Pets

• I would expect to have the visit fully paid for by the animal shelter.  And the medicine for both cats also.  It's not unreasonable and thats what I would try to make happen. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Thank you Kat. I thought they should pay. But, we'll see what happens.. Will post the outcome when I get back.

Again, Thanks !!
    dolphin_whisper

Answer by dolphin_whisper at 12:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• :)  Please remember to post the outcome!

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• sadly this is a common probem at cat shelters, I see it here all the time. I have one that we apopted 3 years ago and she still gets the runny eyes from time to time. be prepared for this to be an ongoing re occuring problem.luckily my other cats only went through it once and are now fine but the one who started the whole mess will never completely recover according to my vet. The shelter left her with it for too long untreated. I would ask them to cover all the cost it is their own fault for not controling the issue.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• They might not because they may say that you should have taken more precautions by keeping them completely seperated and washing your hands and even changing your clothes to keep from spreading it. But you should talk to them about it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I just got back from the shelter vet. They told me that since I didn't Sassy from the shelter that I would have to deal with my regular vet to get Sassy meds etc.. Which really upset me. Come to find out after throwing such a fit she wasn't the vet, just a tech. I was told by the asst. Supervisor to come back on Monday when the vet is there bring both cats and see if he would give sassy her meds too. They gave me pills to shove down the poor kittens throat, which isn't fun.. And this stinky fish powder to sprinkle on this wet food that they gave me, so she would eat. OK that's the end of my early afternoon fiasco !!
    dolphin_whisper

Answer by dolphin_whisper at 2:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• in the mean time well giveing the meds u can make ur kitties comfy by useing a plain lipton tea bag soaked in warm water and gently rubbing it over their eyes and taking a q tip and swabbing away the gunk that has accumulated also use a warm wash cloth to keep their nose cleaning would do this at least 2 x a day or anytime u see the gunk accumulating i never had the money to treat my kitties when they got sick and this is what i did to to make them comfy and with in a few day their eyes cleared up and a few days after the sneezing and cough was gone i know i'll be critizied by those who have money for their animals but just b/c i dont have money when a emergency arises doesnt mean i dont love my animals i take care of them to the exstent of my purse
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2009