How can I get more milk out of my breasts. I can get 3 oz on my left side but only 1oz on my left. Is there something wrong?

StacieSmith

Asked by StacieSmith at 12:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oatmeal helps as does fenugreek, sp? also you usually get less milk when you pump. drink lots water and try to be relaxed when you pump.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Baby's mouth is much more efficient at getting the milk out. With my first baby I could fill an 8 oz bottle every time I pumped, regardless of when she last nursed, but with another baby, I couldn't get an ounce total no matter how engorged I was or wasn't - but she was gaining a lot of weight, so I knew she was getting sufficient nutrition from nursing.
    Anonymous

• How much you can pump depends on a lot of things; age of the baby, pump you are using, if you do massage before & during pumping, if you pump both breasts at once, location of pumping, experience, length of time pumping, time of day, stress, breast differences, and other factors.

If you have a young baby and are not using any massage, then getting 4 ounces is great! Little babies stomachs are tiny and breasts don't need to make much milk.

For info on massage go to google and type in Marmet technique. Breasts can make different amounts of milk. They can have different gland structure. The baby may suckle better at one and that one makes more milk. It might be a one time thing.

People recommend all kinds of things to increase milk that haven't been scientifically proven. The way to increase milk is to breastfeed and/or pump more.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I agree with gail!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Getting 1 oz from a breast is very normal with a pump. Getting 3 is amazing! If you aren't working and are able to feed baby at your breast then I wouldn't worry at all about your supply...you have plenty. If you are needing to pump enough to feed baby while you are at work, then that's a whole other story. Drink plenty of water, cut out caffeine, eat oatmeal, and be sure you are eating carbs and protein. It takes a lot of good carbs to make milk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You're getting a great amount via pumping! Are you exclusively pumping? If not, and this is just some back up milk, then I'd say there is nothing wrong.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• there is nothign wrong. why try fixing whats not broken. 2 oz between both breast is a normal pumping. pumping more tahn 2 oz and your like WOOW!! lol i exclusevely pump i pump anyhwhere form 5-8 oz a pumping session but i am the kind of woman that has a great reaction to the pump. i mean when my ds was a newborn i could pump 12-16 oz .but thats rare.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You're normal! Everyone has a side that produces less.

And you will also be normal when your pump output drops. What you're getting now is a lot...normal is half an ounce to two ounces a session, altogether.

Relax. You're fine and need take nothing at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2009