How was it when your toddler had to get some dental work done?

My 20month old has to get some fillings done. I wonder if they'll let me in the room w/her. Is there any thing that I can do for her like take some toys or something so she wont panic. How did ur kids do.? Did they had to be put under any drug?

Bless2haveU

Asked by Bless2haveU at 12:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My toddler hasn't but I remember mine! The child dentist was HORRIBLE and he made me (at 3) go into the room myself where they tried to put the face mask for gas on me and I panicked. They finally had to go get my mother who was appalled at what they were doing. They had beds, 3 to a room and the put the kids under then the doctor and tech came in and did the work assembly line style. She called the our normal dentist as SOON as she came home and told him. He said he personally would do the rest of the work I needed (he didn't do childrens fillings and root canals before that). He also said any dentist that will not allow children's parents back into the room with them is a big red flag. I had to have three fillings and a root canal at three.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My dd broke a tooth at 2 and had to have a cap, the dentist was horrible! He yelled at her for crying! I was in the room and we were the only ones in the room but still she was 2! Plus he put the wrong size cap on! She had to have major surgery that same year and con not open her mouth that wide so when the capped tooth started to hurt her I found a different dentist and come to find out the tooth was infected from the cap and had to be removed! Her new dentist is great! He lets me go everywhere with her, xrays, cleaning area everywhere and he talks to her, not only to me and puts her at ease. I would make sure you and your child feel comfortable. Good luck, its not so bad when you have a good dentist!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 1:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My son had to have lots of dental work done. I was sick during pregnancy and had to take lots of drugs and his teeth didn't form right. He had root cannals and crowns. All kinds of things little people shouldn't have to do.

There are mean dentists that treat kids horribly and won't let moms come back and great dentists and everything between. If your child needs a lot of work they may sedate her. They usually don't like to do that. My son was used to having medical stuff done and we usually didn't have too much problems at the dentist at that age.

When you pick a dentist ask on the phone if you can go back. Go to the dentist office and check it out.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2009