how safe it is for 7 grade kids to play xbox live

my 12 year old is asking for xbox live on his birthday.i feel little uncomfortable need help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Is he wanting an XBOX or xbox LIVE? The xbox i would have no problems with. The xbox live connection....if you could monitor to make sure he's only playing with his friends, that he knows in real life, then it should be fine. I don't really know how it works because all i ever use my Live for is to get downloadable content for the games i have already. I have no clue how to play with other people. I do know that you have to know their screen names to play with someone. BUMP so someone else who knows how it works better than i do can answer.
    SandraJo

Answer by SandraJo at 3:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I think he is old enough to play Xbox live at 12. My son is 13 and has been playing Xbox live for a few years, with supervision. You can report people on Live just like on a computer site. You also have to invite people to play with you online, so you need their screenname. I would think he would be ok, especially if the Xbox is in a central area that the whole family is and the parents monitor usage.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• They have parental controls on it. both my boys have it. its safe and you can block unwanted games to play as well as ratings that you dont want him to play.. like Mature or above games can be blocked. You can also have a timer on it as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Also make sure if he does play with people he doesn't know in real life that the rules are the same as internet use like no last name,address phone number etc..

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I have some friends in their 20s with Xbox Live, and I've noticed that if they end up in a game room, or on a team with younger kids they're nice, but short with them. You know, "good shot!" etc I don't think it would really matter...
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2009