Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to add name in documents

I know someone who's not a citizen but she's a permanent resident. She has been in US for over 10 years (legally) and she's known by her American name which is not in her official documents (driver's licence, bank account, etc). How does she go about adding her American name in her official documents? BTW she intends to apply for citizenship soon.

Answer Question

Asked by wanita61 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 5 (85 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • In order to change your name legally, your friend will need to petition the court, and have a Judge approve of the name change!

    Seeing as your friend in not a legal citizen of the US, she is going to have to wait until she is, in order to do so.

    I legally changed my birth name, to the name I has ALWAYS used (personally and informally) since I was a child a few months before i was married--figured I'd be changing my last name, so why not my first at the same time! There were a number of steps involved, and I think it cost me around $300--that was 10 years ago.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 1:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • When she is going to fail papers for citizenship, she can do the name change then. They will do 2 things in same time .It is easy that way.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.