• In the Spotlight:

Brown discharge?

I'm 40 weeks and 2 days and this past Monday I started loosing my mucus plug. This morning I wiped myself after going to the bathroom and there was thick brown discharge and I was wondering if this is a sign that I could be going in to labor soon. If so how soon? I know you ladies are not doctors but I REALLY want to get this over with and just looking for some ideas from other ladies experiences.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would go to the doctor. When you are over due the baby can be under stress. The stress can cause the baby to have a bowel movement. They would have to take special precautions and probably give you a c-section. If the baby's first breath is meconium (sp?) it could cause very serious issues.
    Anonymous

• It could be the back end of your mucous plug, or hints that bloody show is about to arrive.
    It honestly depends on when you'd be going into labor, but I would say, a safe bet would probably be within the next few days.
    I had bloody show, first it was brown, then later on, streaked with pinkish blood, then it was mucousy blood. I was on hospital bed rest for 5 weeks, so I freaked out and alerted one of the nurses. One of the more stupid nurses said it was just from "damages" to my cervix, but... no, it wasn't. Because I hadn't had a vaginal ultrasound or a cervix check in WEEKS, and they were on a very strict no sex rule with me. A few of the other nurses said it was bloody show. It lasted a day and a half, soon after, I went into labor.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I would still call the L&D wing, and your doctor just to give them a heads up, they can certainly give you a better explanation and/or some tips. Good luck!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2009