What to say when child asks for Daddy????

Husband and I are seperated living over 1,000 miles apart. Lately when my 3y/o is being disiplined he will cry he wants his daddy. I have been ignoring the statement but it is getting worse. What should I say to child?

DazedonSunday

Asked by DazedonSunday at 1:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• My husband and I separated when our son was only 19 months old. His only word at that time WAS "dada". He would hear a noise and say "dada?" At first I cried when he said it, but I realized I needed to make him stop. So, I answered "daddy's not here". It worked for my son, but with your son being older, I don't know if it will work. You kind of have to address it somehow. Saying 'daddy's not here" might do the trick. Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Tell him that he is far away giev hima picture. My hubby works away from home alot and tat what i tell the kids. photo alblums help alot
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• call his father on the phone and say here,heres daddy.talk to him
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My oldest wants to do this when she is in trouble and DH isn't home. I tell her daddy isn't home and you are dealing with me. Depending on your relationship with the ex you might let them call and talk to them later that day or the next but not at the time because then all they are doing is telling on you to your ex and that isn't good for anyone! Now if this is said when NOT in trouble that is totally different and you just explain that daddy is't going to be around and do what you can to comfort them.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 3:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• THANK YOU for all the great answers. I just feel a little heartbroken when this happens. He does have photos of dad and I do tell him "Daddy is working" Again it just breaks my heart to hear those "i want daddy" words
    DazedonSunday

Answer by DazedonSunday at 3:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I would tell him he would see him soon. TO be as good as he can.
    I would not however tell him he is working all the time. He may get scared if you go to work and may associate that with your work and think you may not come back for a long time.
    I know it is hard on both of you. Stay busy and love him to much!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2009