After taking a home prego test, how soon should you go to the doctor to get a blood test or do you have too??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would go as soon as they can give you an appointment so you can get going on the prenatal vitamins.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:35 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Since your home test is positive a more positive blood test plus prenatals is important for your history to be noted, medically, for your baby and you to be cared for. First time visits are usually done between 6 weeks to 9 weeks past last known period.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I didn't know women went so soon now.

When I had my last two I called the doctor's office and told them I was pregnant. They said call back if I didn't miscarry. I would start going in the second trimester.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• More often than not, when you call your doctor's office stating you're pregnant, they'll give you a blood test - if you're not incredibly sure how far along you are, just to make sure you're far along enough to get an ultrasound.
    When I found out I was pregnant from an HPT, I immediately called to schedule an appt.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I never did. Took a HPT, got a +, called the doc, scheduled an appointment for 8 weeks or so. Never had a blood PT. You don't have to go to the doc to start prenatals either, they're available OTC at any pharmacy.
    Anonymous

• I got a positive test 2 days ago. I have an appointment on the 22
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My doctor says he doesn't even do a blood test unless the pee test comes out neg at 8-10 weeks. Thats when he normally sees his patients for the first time unless they have miscarried their last pregnancy. Then he does an ultrasound mostly to reassure stressed mothers. He does not have a lab to do blood tests on site so he has to send you to the hospital lab to get stuff done.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My doctor wanted to see me as soon as I found out but my insurance didnt kick in until about 7 weeks. And they gave me a pee test and they didnt give me a blood test. But they did give me a ultrasound at 9 weeks. Which is WAY better than a blood test in my opinion!
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I never had a blood test to confirm my pregnancies.

I got the positive results then called to make my first appts and while I was waiting to see a dr I just started taking prenatals.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You don't have to. I didn't make an appointment with the OB I had until the first trimester was nearly done. I saw no point in going earlier since I knew when I conceived and didn't want an ultrasound. After that first appointment for routine blood work to check iron and other levels for my records, I switched to a midwife.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2009