what to do?

In our area we have a virus, sinus infection and swine flu going around. My 4 year old has been running fever yesterday and today( 99.5-100) has runny nose and head hurts. Its the same symptoms as all three things going around. How do I know when to take him to the dr? I dont want to take him to soon because if they test him for swine and its to soon and it comes back negative but he has it and we dont know it he could die. Im thinking about taking him to the saturday dr today but not really sure what to do. Im scared to death that my kids will get swine flu and die. Any advice? I dont want to wait to long but also dont want to go to soon.

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 2:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I called my doctor and he said after 3 days of being sick to call him if things were not improving. At that time there was a big outbreak of swine flu here a lot of people were panicking. We had 2500 recorded cases in a town of 24000 people. They stopped testing after the first week unless you needed to be hospitalized. Guess how many people died? NONE. They never got a real count on how many cases really were here. I think we all got it since we were all sick at that time. One thing I know is if you grab a flashlight and look at your childs throat and it has a whitish coating on it, you should go in for strep. I would wait till Monday personally.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• In my towm 90% of the flu cases are swine flu. The Hospitals stopped testing after a week.No one died. We had the flue , knocked us on our asses for two weeks. My 13 month old and my 30 m/o had it as well. call your local H to see what they say. don't freak out just yet. hang in there!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Right now they are telling people to stay home if their symptoms are not serious or they don't have underlying health conditions. HIs fever is not high and his symptoms sound mild, so for the time being I would suggest using home remedies for him. Lots of fluids, rest etc...

Like someone said after a few days if things seem worse, breathing trouble etc..then take him in immediately.
    Anonymous

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose.

A sick child should be home, not in a germ-infested doctors's office where he may likely pick up a secondary infection.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2009