Would you leave your 3 year old?

I live in an apartment and it does not have a laundry in the unit, rather there is a laundry room in the building that is communal. My son is 3.5 but due to speach/learning disabilitys he acts more like a 2.5 year old. Would you leave him in the apartment alone while running to put the laundry in, change it, ect? We live in a safe enough community that I never have to worry about it while its running, just have to move it and such so usually would only be gone 3-5 min. Usually I wait till DH is home and have him run it down and such, he thinks I am being overprotective. Would you do it?

auroura

Asked by auroura at 2:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't leave him alone in the apartment, sleeping or awake. Not a chance. I DO EMPATHIZE with you about shoes on, go somewhere. Sometimes, it isn't worth the effort to be outside for a few minutes. If you have tons of laundry, I'd consider finding a laundramat, and doing all 50 loads at once. Then you and he could play between washing and drying. But of course, it would cost more and you'd have to pack/unpack the car. But, still, wouldn't leave him. Nope, nada, no way!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• NO kids at that age get into too much id be afraid he would get hurt or start a fire or something
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Nope, I'd take him along.
    Anonymous

• no i wouldnt leave him, there are just too many things that can go wrong in 3-5 minutes. Kids that age love to help so have him help you change the laundry over or hold the basket for you, it will keep him busy while your doing it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• if its across from your appartment yes as in its facing your front window,but i wouldnt stay i would run and take clothes out and put in dryer and thats it,so we are talking 1 minute tops with your door locked ofcourse,i think if he is napping i might do it but no more than 3 minutes. I took my son i dont undertsand why your son cant go with you?
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't. I don't even like leaving my child unsupervised when I run to change my laundry and I have it inside my home.

Can you take him with you? It's not worth the risk, I hate thinking about the things that a child could do when left alone.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I would take him, but then he throws a tantrum when we come right back as he wants to go play or stand and watch the cars go by (cars fascinate him). Shoes on mean its time to go do something fun, and laundry isn't really fun, nor is coming right back and repeating the process every 25 min for several hours.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Well my drier is downstairs and I leave my kids up stairs to switch them out. I do lock the door and so not mess around down there unless DD is asleep.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I would so long as all preautions are made, that it safe to do so, meaning pretty good baby proofing in the house, a favorite movie has his attention and the door is loked and I would only be gone a max of 4-5 minutes. If you run it should be ok. I used to use a baby monitor to hear what was going on, that might help also.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• As long as your kid isn't going to mind I probably would...but why don't you let him watch the cars for a while?
    Anonymous