How to keep you breast milk from drying up

I know a few people who have just had babies. Their Milk dried up really fast. I really want to breastfeed my baby. How do you keep it from drying up?

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 2:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Breastfeed on demand. No bottles, period. No pacifier. Pump between feedings once your milk is in. Eat oatmeal. Drink more liquids than normal. Keep up a healthy diet.
    Anonymous

• Virtually all women can breastfeed and have an adequate supply. Women starving in Africa do it. Women in war torn countries do it. Yet well fed American women think they don't have enough milk. Sometimes they do have enough and are misinformed. Sometimes they don't want to breastfeed and use it as an excuse.

How to make sure you have a great supply. Nurse within the first hour of birth. If you have a C-section get someone to help you and still nurse within the first hour. Tell the hospital your baby is to have no bottles, no pacifiers, no water, no anything other than breastfeeding. Room in with your baby and nurse frequently. Breastfeed at least every 2-3 hours. Your milk should come in by the third day.

If you have any problems get help right away from a Lactation Consultant or LLL Leader. Babies are born bloated with fluids to hold them over till the milk comes.

Cont.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• When you get home keep your baby in your room and nurse every 2-3 hours around the clock. It is not good for a baby to sleep through the night. If your baby can smell you the two of you can smell each other's pheromomes and get on the same sleep schedule.

At 6 weeks is a crisis time. Two big things happen. The baby goes through a growth spurt and nurses more. Up until this point the breasts may have been making more milk glands. Now there are more glands and the breasts make milk better. They start to feel softer. Moms think their baby is nursing more and their breasts are soft so that must mean there isn't enough milk. When it is a normal thing to expect at six weeks.

Do not give any bottles ever. If you have to miss a feeding use something else to get milk into the baby.

If you do these things and have normal breasts you should have enough milk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I think most women who say their milk dried up either won't very committed to breastfeeding or felt that their milk dried up when they went from engorgement to an adequate supply.

For centuries women BF babies just fine before there was every another option. Almost all women are able to BF. We just get fed a lot of bad information sometimes.

Feed on demand, do not introduce a bottle, drink plenty of water, eat enough protein and carbs, and cut back on caffeine and your milk will not dry up.

In the beginning, you may get engorged or really full feeling. After your body gets the hang of BFing you stop over producing and just make what your baby needs. Many times when this happens, women think their milk dried up. If baby seems satisfied and is still wetting 6 diapers a day, then your milk has not dried up.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You don't need to pump. You don't need to own a pump. Don't have bottles, pacifiers, or formula in the house. If you don't have it you can't be tempted to use it.

There are no special foods you have to eat.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• NURSE NURSE NURSE NURSE!!!! AND KEEP HYDRATED. EAT WELL TOO NOT SPECIAL FOOD BUT TRY TO EAT GOOD.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Some people swear by oatmeal, but I don't like oatmeal. I do however like granola in yogurt though. I didn't care if it upped my supply or not, but it's a great healthy snack to keep on hand! :)

Otherwise, just nurse, nurse, nurse!!! Drink LOTS and LOTS of water...I have never drank so much water in my life, but I was sooo thirsty when I was nursing in the beginning! ( My little guy is 14 months old now and working on weaning himself! boo!) Make small goals for yourself, YEA I made it to three months, YEA I made it to six months and so on so forth! If you need anything let me know!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I would say nurse frequently, eat a healthy diet with lots of low fat proteins, and drink lots of fluids. I kept a 2qt bottle of water by the bed and drank a glass every time I nursed. contrary to what some have said you don't need to stress about it. You can pump and have someone else feed a bottle occasionally, you can even give the occasional formula bottle (don't be surprised if they don't like it though it tastes like crap) and still have a good supply.  I would invest in a pump (I have the advent manual pump) so you can keep breastmilk on hand for a bottle or mixing with cereal when the time comes.  Also, if you are a working mom, a pump (in this case go for the electric one) can increase the length of time you can feed your child breastmilk.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 10, 2009