When did your baby start to sit up unassisted and crawl?

My son is 6 1/2 months old and still does not sit up by himself. My husband and I were wondering if there's anything we can do to help him? He can hold his head up, which at first was a little hard for him b/c he doc said his head is big (it was checked out though and hes normal) we know babies develop at their own rate but we would also like to positively help him. Thanks!

Ness87

Asked by Ness87 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • get a bumbo seat, they work great. or you can get a boppy pillow, and have him sit with that around him, make it so that if he falls backwards his head hits the pillow, not his back. and don't worry, my dd didn't sit up on her own till about 7 1/2 months.
    Anonymous

• I have both a bumbo and a boppy. he gets very fussy during tummy time and also when he's in his bumbo or jumper for too long...
    Ness87

Answer by Ness87 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My son started crawling about 2 weeks ago, he will be 7 months on the 16th. It took him a while, but we worked with him a lot. He started sitting up about 2 days after he was crawling really well. I spent a lot of time sitting in the floor with him. I would even crawl around on my hands and knees trying to show him what to do. I don't know that it really helped but i felt like it did.
    As for the bumbo chair, he hated his. Try sitting him on the floor on a few blankets and try to sit him up, that way when he falls over he wont get hurt. After falling enough times he should learn to catch himself with his hands.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My DD started really crawling about 2 weeks ago (she'll be 7 months on the 11th) and she was able to sit up by herself when she just turned 5 months. I would do what the other PP's said about the Bumbo. I got my daughter one, but she HATED it. Now I use it as a "travel high chair". As for crawling, get down to his level. I would get on the floor with my daughter every time I put her down, and I would put her knees under her and rock back and forth on my hands and knees. After awhile she started doing the same, then crawling.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Well my son may be kinda weird cuz he is 7 1/2 months old and crawling. But he still can't sit up on jis own for more than a few minutes. He always tips over. I have a bumbo seat and he always arches his back and gets out of it. I think that's more for younger babies. Every baby develops at a different rate and excells in different areas. Don't stress about it or worry.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 6:12 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• my dd started sitting completely on her own for prolonged times at about.. 5 months and started crawling at about.. 5 1/2-6 months.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2009