Did I do the right thing or am I selfish for leaving him because he needed more attention and I got none? All I have to go off of is the past (in which he tells me to get over it because that was the past) but I cant let go of the past and that is why I am not giving him another chance.

I was with this guy for two years... we had more downs than ups. He wasn't around half of the time and when he was, he would try to get me to change my parenting skills, then he was gone again... drinking because he couldn't handle life he said but that he still loved us. He always wanted me to be there for him whether it was on the phone or in person but when I needed him, he was usually drunk and wouldn't answer the door or phone. We would make plans to do something and he would always promise, the next day would come and he would tell me (that's if he answered the phone) that he said that we "might" do something or that we never made "for sure" plans and that it didn't work out today because I fought with him, so maybe tomorrow. He never asked to take my child on his days off or asked to pick him up from school. He says that he has changed... I don't know what change would be like because it was never a equal relationship.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• He doesn't sound like husband material to me. So I think you were smart to get away from him.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• It seems like there was change in your relationship with him, constant change and adjustment of your life per day with him because of him. You're lucky he's telling you he's not good enough for you. Believe him and move on.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You did the right thing. You have the right tp be happy, and this man was not trying to make you or your son happy. You need to forget about him and use what you learned from this relationship and make sure it does not continue over to the next. You also need to take this time and build a stronger relationship with yourself and work on your confidence. I am sure that it took a beating in the relationship. I hope things work out for you and I hope you move on with your son. Good luck.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 6:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• i wouldnt take him back,there are always gonna be problems,espacialy when it comes to the past.trust me i have tried to make things work with someone and ended up leaving and found my one true person a year later without even looking.i relized u can love someone without being with them.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2009