would you set aside your happiness in order to make things work with your SO/BF/DH? have you and how did it turn out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• bad. sigh. I gave him emotional and home support for the military and college and in his job while he travellled I stayed home and mommied our kids and I mommied him but I didn't nurture me.

Years later I come before him. Children are very very well and grown certainly no thanks to him.
    Anonymous

• Since happiness is more about what we give than it is about what we get, the only way to be truly happy is to give away as much of yourself to others, including your husband, as you can possibly give. That's the way I've live for almost 45 years, and I guarantee you that it works. Selfishness and thinking more of yourself than about others is a sure-fired recipe for being totally miserable for your whole life. People will never be able to give you enough of their time and attention to make you happy, because that is simply not how life was meant to be lived.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Set aside your happiness in what way? Your life will be completely unfulfilled if you have no happiness for yourself or do not make time for YOU. Instead of making things better in your relationship you could very well grow to resent him and make things worse. Marriage takes two to make it work, it's not always easy, but both of you should be happy and both of you should be willing to make some compromises for one another as well. It goes both ways.I hope everything works out for you....I wish you the best.

And NannyB....
    You completely contradicted yourself. Why on earth should this young lady spend all her time and energy to make her husband happy and not expect it in return? You are telling her to enable him to be selfish and completely conceded. That is insanity to me. No one should forget who they are as an individual or forget what makes them happy to fit someone else's ideas of perfection and happiness.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 5:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I have. It's not worth it. If you're not happy why be with someone who doesn't make you happy. It doesn't matter if he's the father of your child, if you have been together for 50 years...if he's not right for you, and things aren't working like they should be, don't put yourself through hell to stay in the relationship
    Anonymous

• Life is too short to not live "happily ever after" doing whatever makes you happy and with whomever makes you happy.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2009