Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about Grandparent rights?

My SO's mom is a crazy woman. I mean really she is a manic depressant, bipolar who has been in the psych hospital countless times. She was always starting stupid arguments with my SO to the point that it was making him crazy. So he has decided to stay away from, in this keeping my 6 1/2 month old away as well.
She is now getting a lawyer and taking us to court for visitation of my son. I really don't want him to be around her, she is a ticking time bomb. I am afraid for her to be around him, she might leave the country with him for all I know.
Does anyone know how the grandparents rights work? How can I make sure that she doesn't get to see him. I know he don't really know now but I am afraid that she would be a horrible influence on him later in life.

Answer Question

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 20 (9,173 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • I do not really think their is a grandparents rights. Call a lawyer that deals with this sort of stuff. They can tell you if their is a grandparents right in your State.

    You might want to get all the background on your MIL. Her crazy info.


    Answer by louise2 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • it depends on the state you are in. I'd go after her medical records history etc.
    She is nuts b/c she doesn't really have enough to stand on, its her own son making this decision not the spouse after a divorce or death, and she never had custody of the child for any sig. amount of time.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • Once the courts see her medical background and the reports to prove what you have said about her instability they will reiterate that she is NOT his mother and you and your SO have every right to decide whether or not you should have your son around her. Unless there is harm being done to your child and she is trying to get custody of him for protective reasons, then I do not believe that she can do anything or get a judge to appoint her visitation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • We live in Kentucky.

    Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • i no in CA they dont really have rights i looked up info online for my grandparents or myself to get visitation for my sister but its the parents decision in the end [[good luck]]

    Answer by babylove5207 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • Grandparents do not have rights unless one of the parents are not involved or diceased. Being a grandparent is a privelage, not a right

    Answer by Steph319 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • I meant both of the parents. and then its not about rights but about first choice on custody

    Answer by Steph319 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • and besides, she is crazy and is prob not serious. I wouldnt worry about anything she says

    Answer by Steph319 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • My MIL threatened my DH when she found out I was pregnant. her words "if you think you'll keep that baby away from me you're wrong, I'll take you to court to get visitation". So I checked it out and here in our state she can only get visitation rights if my DH and I are divorced. Don't know how accurate that info is, but i know nothing ever came of it. But I still worry about her and what she might do next!!


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • Kentucky does have grandparent visitation rights

    "Grandparent Issues: Kentucky

    Grandparent Rights to Visitation: Visitation may be granted if the court determines that the visitation is in the best interest of the child. Chapter 405, Section 021 (KRS §405.021)."

    You need to get a lawyer if she is going to take this to court.

    Answer by Gailll at 7:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.