In the event that something unforunate and unforeseen should happen to you and DH, have you chosen who will have guardianship of your children? How did you make the decision on who to choose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes.

We chose one of my husband's brothers and his wife.

Decision was based on knowing they could financially handle another kid (if their costs exceed our life insurance pay-out).

Also, we've seen how they've been raising their kids, and it seems the closest to how we would raise ours: same faith, same hobbies, pretty similar opinions on things etc.

Last of all - they've got all boys and would just cherish a little girl like ours.
    Anonymous

• We have not done this. I know we should. My son is 6 months old. I have given it alot of thought but I really don't know who I could trust with him if something was to happen to both of us.
    Anonymous

• my mother would raise my son. shes the only one i trust, shes my best friend, and she would treat my son amazing.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• We decided when our oldest was little that the kids would go to my sister. But in the last five or so years it has come to our attention that my BIL doesn't like our oldest and I can bet that he would never accept him as his own. I would never want my child to be where he isn't loved like the other kids.
    So my dh and I have changed our minds about who our kids would go to in the unfortunate event that both of us die. My other siblings have too much going on, one sister is just getting married and my brother has three kids of his own and would not be able to handle three more boys. I have another sister, but we haven't spoken in 10 years. Dh's sister lives across the country and so she really isn't an option. My parents have both had cancer and are not as strong as they once were.
    So we have decided we would like them to go to dh's parents. Both are in good health and would LOVE to have the boys.
    Now we just need a will.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:01 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• We don't because we have no one. The options are my elderly father (he's 63 and disabled) or one of my husband's sisters. One is "disabled" and hasn't really worked in years (mooching off the system) has embezzled money from her job (which her mom's cousin got for her), steals, lies, etc and the other one is a suspected to have been running a meth lab out of their barn (or, at least, letting other people use the barn for that purpose). I love them both but don't trust them with my kids.
    The only other family we have is my brother who doesn't like kids and has only met mine once (in 2006).
    My dad has already said he will keep them as long as he can but he's already had 1 heart attack and his health isn't that great. Most likely they will end up in the system or split between various family members if something happens to my dad. Sad.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My DH and I have been discussing this since the birth of our 8 year old. We are both only children (well, now my DH has a 9 year old 1/2 sister lol) As of now it's arranged that my mother and father would take our children, but they're in their 70's and we'll have to make other arrangements before too long. We have cousins but would rather they now have them. We do have good friends (he's good friends with the DH and I've know the woman since we were 11) and we have discussed naming them but we just aren't sure.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Honestly, no we have not chosen.

There is no one really in our life we feel could do the job so we are sort of stuck as to who to choose. I feel it will come down to the lesser of the evils and I hate that idea.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

•  

Honestly, no we have not chosen.

That's exactly how we feel.  I feel like the best person would be my best friend, but we want him with his family. It's a horrible choice.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My mom will get my daughter and if she's unable to I have no clue I was going to leave her to a friend but she ended up being not such a good person after 13 years of knowing her she was a stripper and had an abortion because the baby daddy dumped her for another girl
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 7:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• So far it's my older brother and his fiance, if something were to happen and they couldn't or wouldn't take them then our children would go to my husbands best friend and his fiance. This would of course only be until my younger sister finished highschool and got married after that if nothing has happened to us she will be named. As it is right now she is only 16 but she's the closest to me and I know she would treat my children like her own.
    Anonymous