Do 6 yr old molars hurt coming in?

I have a 6 yr old daughter who complains daily of her molars hurting as they are coming in. I remember mine coming in and don't recall any pain. My husband does not either. Her grandmother medicates her when she's there and complains. Is this a plea for attention as her 5 month old brother is teething, or is it truly something to be concerned about? She is a drama queen and I do not know if they hurt or if it's a cry for some good tasting tylenol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think SS complained a bit about them hurting, but not a whole lot. I wouldn't medicate for that personally.
    Anonymous

• it hurt my son
    i mean it is something pushing through to break your gums, i would imagine that it hurts
    Anonymous

• It can. Usually it's just uncomfortable. I remember my wisdom teeth coming in and it bugged the hell out of me until I finally gave in and had them removed (the top ones were coming through the sides of my gums and I kept biting the inside of my cheek to the point I was bleeding and couldn't eat).

Funny story: a couple years ago my son was 6, my older daughter was 7 1/2 and my youngest daughter was 2 and all 3 were teething at the same time. The older 2 were getting their 6yo molars and the baby was getting her 2 year molars. Guess who whined more. Hint: it wasn't the baby.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• All teeth hurt when they come in. I had 2 wisdom teeth come in when I was around 21 and it hurt a lot. I lived on Advil for a few weeks. My 13 yr old has 4 teeth coming in and he is in pain too. (He had baby teeth pulled to make room for his permanent teeth). Just give him some Advil type pain reliever and let him eat popsicles to numb his gums.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You have something coming through your gums hell yea it's going to hurt. Chances are your teeth probably did hurt coming through and you just don't remember it. Give the child some tylenol for crying out loud.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• my older two were in agony. they had headaches and could barely eat anything when their molars came in.

I don't remember mine hurting either but the amount of pain they were in was real.

medicate the poor child and don't blame her for trying to get attention over a baby.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2009