Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help deciding on a field of study!

I'm certified as a childbirth educator, and I plan on going back to get a certificate as a breastfeeding councilor and a labor doula. But I'm kind of having a little bit of a crisis right now, not knowing for sure what I want to be when I grow up :p

For a long time I've held the dream of becomming a professional midwife. I still would like to do that, but there are lots of other things I want to do as well.

Basically, i'm looking for a field of study in human reproduction and/or sexuality, psychology or sociology, all of those things are equally interesting to me.

Here's the catch. I don't want to have to go to school for a million years (I'll have to go part time, being a mother) and I don't want to be in a mountain of debt either. What's the point of holding a prestigious degree if you have to work half your life just to pay it off?

Any ideas on a quick degree in those fields?


Asked by Ati_13 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in

Level 24 (21,184 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • If you don't want to go to school for a longtime, skip have to have a Masters to do most types of counseling or teaching.

    There are NO quick degrees when it comes to Psychology or Sociology. You will need atleast a 4 year Bachelor's degree for anything that make money, if not a Masters degree. Go to your local college and talk to a counselor and ask them to do a career assessment to see where your strengths lie. You can also Google the careers you are interested in to see what you need to do them. Your state department of labor should have information on careers.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

  • Thank you! That was very helpful :) I'm gonna do that!

    Answer by Ati_13 at 2:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

  • There is good demand of radiology technicians. They run U/S, X-ray, MRI and CATSCANS. You can work with the pregnant or with the sick and injured and you can get part time hours. You can get a BS in it or you can get a certificate.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

  • I agree with the first post. You should go talk to the guidance counselor of the school that your interested in and she will have you fill out an assesment which will give you a range of jobs to choose from depending on your interest that you stated in the assessment

    Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2009