How do I switch to cows milk?

My son is about to turn 1 and I was needing to know how to switch him to cows milk, start with half formula and half cow milk or just stop giving him formula and make a straight switch? Should I expect runny poop or constipation??
Thanks for all the help.

trl30

Asked by trl30 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • We recommend switching at age one. You can start mixing if you have left over formula and sometimes it helps with kids that have problems with taste change.
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 8:34 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Try just giving him a bottle (or cup) of milk. If he likes it, then switch one bottle a day to milk, and after a few days switch another bottle to milk, etc., until he's completely switched over.

If he doesn't like the taste of the cow's milk, then you can try mixing the formula with the milk, gradually using more milk than formula. Start out with 1/4 milk to 3/4 formula in all bottles, and after a few days up it to half and half, etc., until he's completely switched over.

I don't remember noticing any change in poop when my son switched. And something else that helped us was using some chocolate flavoring to get him to drink the milk; not a lot, just enough to make it a bit more appealing, and we used the sugar-free Nesquik powder. After a couple of times like that, he went to straight milk with no problems, and he still loves milk at 2 years and only gets chocolate occasionally as a treat. Something to consider. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Well It depends on your child osme kids switch easily and some not so easily. just try to switch and see how i goes. If not so well the try 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk for a few days then 1/2 and 1/2 the 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula. and the whole milk. You can try the chololate or strawberry mix to sweeten it up some but that can cause bad bad habit and some will not take it with out it!
    Goodluck
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2009