about my 3 old son

he just turned 3 in sep talks very little they say there is nothing wrong with him acept he needs speech therapy .. he says maybe 15 words that is understandable .. what shoulld i do . he has been a very healthy id other wise

ashnichole

Asked by ashnichole at 7:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you have any concerns about his hearing? Has the doctor done a hearing test on him? That's my own personal thing.
    Try talking/reading to him as much as you possibly can. It can only help. Explain everything you are doing, how to do laundry, fold it, driving the car/where you are going. Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Maybe he just isnt a big talker. You know like a quiet type.
    Anonymous

• I don't know where you live but here in NJ we can get the state to do an evaluation and help out with issues such as that. My friends daughter turned two in July and she has an older daughter who was a big time talker at that age but the two year old wasn't talking very much at all. She called and had the evaluation done and they suggested therapy just like in your case. They said that sometimes it is just a normal part of development (some kids do more of this or that - and lag in other areas) Her daughter happens to be very agile and does more physical activity than verbal. Is your son very physically active? Perhaps he has spent more energy on that (like my friends child) than on talking. Either way, as long as you have had all the testing done that has been recommended by his doctor and they say he just needs speech therapy, try not to worry. Easy to say-I know. All kids are different, I'm sure he'll be just fine.
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 10:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My dr said they will talk when they have something to say. He was right and my oldest dd hasn't shut up since (she's 33 now). Be thankful he's not a talker. They drive you nuts! Why does everyone seem to need speech therapy now? That's just crazy. You can teach your child to sound out words. Take time every day to read a book and show pix and sound out words. If his hearing is fine then he should be learning by hearing. Just ask him to sound out words with you.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• puppyI just talked to my youngest dd whose son doesn't talk much (and takes speech therapy). He had a hearing problem but they fixed that. She said they got a puppy 2 days ago and he hasn't stopped talking to the puppy! So if you can have a pet, maybe that's something to think about

Answer by admckenzie at 2:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Get him the speech therapy. They will help him and you know what to do to fix it. The sooner you help him the less problems he will have in school. Contact your school district, the services are usually free.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2009