My daughter started cheating in school....

She is 6 years old. She is an A student BUT lately she has started looking at other student's work. The teacher says she has been one of her top students. She noticed her work started declining. It was because she was copying other student's answers and they were wrong. My daughter seems to be lacking confidence in herself. My husband is a highly negative person and he recently got on anti-depressants because I just could not take his negative outburst anymore. Although that has drastically gotten better I believe it has affected our child. She has started blaming others when she makes mistakes, she gets embarrased more easily now, and she cries about things a lot more than she used to. I have some concern that she may dealing with some anxiety or depression issues herself now. Does anyone else have a child struggling with this?? What do you do? I am not sure where to start..to help her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The cheating thing is actually very common. When my son was in 2nd grade last yr, he started doing that and I went to his teacher, and she told me it is very normal for kids in about 1st thru 3rd grade to try that b/c they want so much to do well, and to make you and/or the teacher proud. So, it may not be related to anything else at all. I found that telling my son that when you cheat, people can't trust you, and that I would be more proud of a C that he earned than an A that he cheated to get got him to stop. As for the other stuff, I would start with talking to her ped. Explain about dad's issues and what you now see in your daughter and ask for her recommendations. She can tell you if she thinks your daughter should see a therapist or if it's just a phase or whatever. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Oh, I wanted to add, too, that the other stuff might very well be normal, too. You don't mention if she's an only child or not, but my sons are always trying to blame each other for their mistakes. My 8 yr old once tried to tell me it was his 5 yr old brother's fault that he got his math homework wrong. lol And I think all kids go thru an embarassment phase, at one point or another. But still, talk to her ped, b/c you are concerned and you should never just brush it off if you are concerned.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2009