HELP! Kindergarten Problems!

My son turned 5 years old the end of July, and he started kindergarten this year. The 4th day of school the teacher called my husband and I in for a confrence and told us she doesnt think he is mature enough, and that she thinks he should go back to preschool. I felt like he was still adjusting and like she should give him more time. So anyways I told her I would like to keep in contact so we can be on the same page and help my son. She has been send home notes telling me how he did in class that day, but it seems like if it is not one thing it is another. "He was loud" "He need to work on flushing the toilet" "He didnt clean up when it was time" " He needs to work on his math skills"

He also has started hitting other children according to the teacher which really bothers me because he has never done that before even in preschool. I just dont know what to do anymore!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well the feed back in the notes sounds nit picky but if she really feels he is not ready that is the real point. Do you have anything like a Pre-K there? That's what they call it here.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• No the cut off for Pre K is there birthday has to be after september!
    Anonymous

• im not tryint to excuse him but you know why he is hitting? because he knows he is NOT wanted,my son acts so mean when people dont like him,if you love him he is so much fun,switch him teachers and btw tell her to go back to school because if she doesnt know how to handle a child after 4 days and doesnt know how to work with diffrent personanlities she needs to saty away from children.i bet she doesnt like the fact that he is an all boy and next thing she'll tell you is to start drugging him,run for your life and switch him teachers.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 8:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Hmmm... you could talk to the principal about switching classes. I agree he may feel unwanted there.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• There is a possiblilty he is acting out due to feeling unwanted. There is also a possibliity he is acting out because he feels out of his league. I have a son that has learning disabilities. I heard all these same complaints. He doesn't know... He is pushing others..He can't..etc. What we learned was it wasn't a maturityu problem (although that can happen). He just didn't 'get it' because of the way he learns. We had him evaluated. After learning what the problem was he recieved help and immediately began to thrive in the school setting. He acted out because he felt 'dumber than the other kids" His words, not mine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I had a very similar situation when my oldest started kindergarten. He and the teacher just did not like each other, and the more she picked at his behavior, the more he behaved badly. I'd go in, talk to the principal and just explain to him/her that this teacher has already expressed to you that she doesn't seem to want him in her class, and that you feel your son's education is being impacted and you want him placed in another class. They will probably give you grief, try to tell you they can't do it or to give it more time or whatever, but you push and demand that they change him. Then, once he's changed, see what happens. If it continues then, then you know it's time to talk to him and find out what's going on, or consider that MAYBE the first teacher was right and he's not ready. But to me, it sounds like my son's situation, and your son and this teacher just don't get along.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I agree with the other moms. I think he is acting out because of the teachers attitude. I would request a different teacher immediately and put a stop to the teachers behavior. She is a kindergarten teacher, not a kindergartener. Explain that you want your child treated fairly and evaluated by another teacher. If it persists, I would just repeat him next year. Better now than when he's older and self confidence will crumble at 8 or older if repeated. Also, what does your gut say? Do you think he's ready? Did he have to pass an evaluation? You're the parent, and no one knows their child better.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Just because your son made the cut off date to be in kindergarten doesnt mean he is ready by any means. Most states now are asking that kids be closer to 6. IF you ask a kindergarten teacher they will more then likely tell you that MOST kids are just not ready and you are setting them up for failure when they are just turning 5. Most schools in Michigan offer a "pre kindergarten" or "early 5's" just for that reason. I would get your child reevaluated. Please dont set him up for failure.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• He sounds like he is not ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• As a preschool teacher, it does sound like he is not ready to be in Kindergarten. He is a young 5 year old and he may need the extra year in preschool. Just because he is 5 before the cut off doesn't mean he is ready for Kindergarten. My son is also a July bday and I had the option of keeping him in preschool another year, but he was ready for Kindergarten and is doing fine and in 8th grade. I would look into taking him out of Kindergarten and putting him back in preschool to give him more time to mature. Talk to the school counselor and principal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2009