Do you have Hypothyroidism? Did you have it while pregnant? Can you let me know what I need to do to keep my unborn baby safe?

So yes this is my 3 pregnancy and I am barely pregnant but I have never had hypothyroidism while pregnant. I got it after I got my IUD in after giving birth to my second child. I have hashimotos thyroiditis and I know if I dont do things properly it can be a life threatening thing for my baby. So my question is what do I need to make sure I do. I know take my pill everyday and I know I need to call my doctor for another blood test but is there anything else I need to do to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.

mommyin07n08

Asked by mommyin07n08 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Health

• I have hypothyroidism, which I developed after my second (and last) child was born.

Other than taking your thyroid medicine, and discussing your concerns with your obstetrician, the only thing I could find related to pregnancy and hypothyroidism, is supplementing with selenium, to keep your antibodies low.

I am not sure if selenium is only available as a prescription medication or if it is found naturally in foods.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Hashimoto's thyroiditis is not a reason to avoid pregnancy. However, some women with Hashimoto's thyroiditis do have trouble conceiving. In some patients, supplementation with selenium is used to try and decrease antibody levels. Both before and during pregnancy, the levels of thyroid hormones need to be checked to make certain they are in the optimal range for pregnancy."

http://www.medicinenet.com/hashimotos_thyroiditis/page3.htm
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Low thyroid can lead to developmental delays. Make sure you are taking enough thyroid meds and taking them correctly. :) Congratulations.
    Anonymous