Do you have any SOFT/cold food recipes/ideas for son having jaw surgery?

My son has recently had teeth pulled and will have double jaw surgery this fall. He has to take a packed lunch each day to work and does not have access to a microwave. We need recipes/ideas for cold SOFT foods beyond the ordinary -- egg salad, chicken salad, yogurt, pudding, apple sauce. (Chewing is extremely limited.)

DibsMom

Asked by DibsMom at 8:14 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• V-8, pureed peaches. How about baby and toddler food?

Answer by Bmat at 8:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• gogurts are great, you can freeze them and they are perfect at lunch time, also those gerber puffs for babys are great, they literally melt in your mouth and they are pretty much like a cheesy poof.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 8:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Smoothie: frozen blueberries, frozen banana, kate (lots of iron and calcium), kiwi and yogurt
    avocado
    avocado pudding

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I was in a wreck 25 yrs ago and broke my jaw .I remember vichyssoise ,that packed cheese that comes in tubs .put a bit in your mouth and body heat will melt it so no real chewing is needed and humus.I drank a lot of smoothies and  protein type drinks.Good luck to him!!

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Aww, poor kid! There are all of those wonderful smoothie and kefir drinks you can get. YoBaby has new "yogurt meals" though I know you said that yogurt was a gimme - they have yogurt, fruit and a hidden veggie pureed in with the sweet stuff. :)

What about ricotta "desserts" like they do for people on the South Beach diet? You blend a little cocoa powder or lemon juice and sugar (for them they use splenda, of course) with ricotta cheese. It's sweet so he'll like it, creamy and yummy, but it's also pure protein.

You can puree squash with any orchard fruit like apples or pears for a little extra vitamin boost, too.

Think about pureed bean soups like split pea or black bean. They have the added protein he's going to be missing. You can also make a black bean and pumpkin soup which might appeal more because the pumpkin's sweet.

Good luck to him and I hope he heals rapidly!
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• frozen grapes
    Ensure
    Do a google search for a list of foods that he can eat , and also ask his Dr he will have some ideas;
    Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 9:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My son had that and he was back eating food in a couple of days. What do you serve him at home? Just pack that. The dr usually tells you what foods he can eat. Don't be afraid to ask him.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:07 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Okay you may think I'm off my rocker and there is now your going to do this but I will suggest it anyway...
    Call a nursing home and ask for the kitchen, ask them what they feed the residents when they can no longer chew.
    SERIOUSLY! They won't laugh they will answer your question. Or you can call the children's hospital and ask for the kitchen, ask them the same question.
    Anonymous