Why do some women get stretch marks and some don't when they are pregnant?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 8:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Genetics... I got crappy skin. I got them everywhere D:
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• genetics and skin care. Thankfully I have genetics on my side. This is my third baby and I only have like 2 stretch marks on my side and they will go away once my baby is born.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• i only got stretch marks on my boobs....lol. and i have 3 boys and a baby on the way
    Anonymous

• For me, genetics played a role - my family is just prone to stretch marks. :-P Add to that the fact that I am a very petite girl and both of my babies were good size (almost 8 pounds), and it was a recipe for skin disaster. Bleh.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• It has to do with skin elasticity, which is mostly due to genetics. If your skin is stretchy, you won't get stretch marks; if it's not, then you will. (Stretch marks happen when your skin stretches too much and tears; the stretch marks are new skin filling in the tears, thus the different look and texture; so if your skin is elastic enough, it won't stretch beyond its threshold.) Some people claim that using lotion religiously will help, but that really improves texture more than anything, though I'm sure lotion may help a little. For the most part, though, look at other women in your family; if your mother got a lot of stretch marks, you probably will, too, no matter what you do.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I used strech mark lotion 5 times a day when I was prego and got tons of strech marks. Either you have elastic skin or you don't.
    Anonymous

• Genetics isn't always the case. My mom got none, I got quite a few...and I used cocoa butter constantly.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2009