Is there a "right" age to go from baths to showers??

Just curious if there was a concensus out there about when to start teaching the kids how to take a shower vs taking baths...does it matter boys or girls? Does it matter at all? Leave it up to them?

What have you done or do you plan on or think is the 'right' time...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a 2 and 3 year old who just startred showering instead of taking baths.  Before we moved into our house, they didn't have any other option other than to take a bath because we didn't have a shower.  As soon as we moved I decided to let them try it out and now they love it.  I guess it just depends on the child.  If one or both of them hadn't liked it, they could have gone back to taking baths, no problem.  I prefer to take showers because baths make me feel like I'm doing nothing but sitting in my own dirt so I PREFER for them to take showers but it's up to them. Wow, I'm sure talkative tonight, LOL.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Oh, sorry, I forgot to add that my son is the 3 year old and my daughter is the 2 year old.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I don't think there are right or wrong answers to this. When they show they are ready. Ask them if they would like to take a shower. You can say something like "it is like playing in the rain." If they like it and are not scared of the water poking their eyes, then they are at the right age.

My 4 year old does not take showers yet. My 9 year old has been taking them since she was about 5 or 6.
    PrincesaBoricua

Answer by PrincesaBoricua at 9:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My oldest (8) wanted to start taking them when he was about 6. My youngest was 3 at the time, and he decided he wanted to be just like his big brother. I let them, and they alternate between showers and baths depending on how much time they want to take and if they want to play or not. I don't think there is any specific age, I think it's all up to them, when they are ready and want to. If you think they might be ready but haven't expressed it, you can always ask. Just a simple "Would you like to take a shower tonight?" If they don't, then just leave it and ask again another day.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My DD has been taking showers with me since she was a few months old.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• my sons 3 and not intrested,Im fine with that!
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• OP here

My girls are 4 & 2 and I don't mind them taking baths but wasn't sure if there was a certian time I should be teaching them that or not...just wondering what everyone else was doing....
    Anonymous

• My dd is going on 7 and recently started taking showers. I still help with hair washing and have to remind her to wash her feet etc. I didnt push it and she still takes baths but sometimes showers are quicker.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I have been taking my 1 year old in the shower with us since he could support his head on his own. My daughter was once she could stand because I was pregnant and couldnt hold her around my belly
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 7 and started taking showers...sometimes. It's easier for me to bathe her and her 3 year old brother at the same time, shower gets messy. Plus I don't trust her washing well, especially her hair.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2009