How much extra flour can I add to a cookie recipe without ruining it?

I'm making pumpkin cookies (yum!) but I used pumpkin puree instead of canned pumpkin (I cooked the pumpkin and pureed it myself). Which means there was quite a bit of exra water in the recipe. I've added about 3/4 of a cup of flour already and it's still not quite stiff enough. Dare I add any more or should we just suffer with flat cookies?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I usually add a little at a time until it thickens... I did that once too...
    They seemed to come out ok, but I did use a bit more flour than I wanted too...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I should maybe mention that I doubled the recipe (that's how much pumpkin I got, and I didn't want to have it hanging out in my freezer lol)

Does that make a difference?-
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• If it's not stiff enough, and it's supposed to be stiff (I've made cookie dough that was supposed to be more like batter), then I'd add a little at a time until it is as stiff as it should be. My only concern would be that other ingredients might need to be increased as well to keep the appropriate taste and to keep the proper ratio, and those things could be difficult to estimate. Maybe you can taste the dough when it's stiff enough to get an idea of how it will taste? And then just hope for the best when you bake them?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Thanks for your help, ladies, they came out beautifully!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• you will need to up the spices as well. to be safe, add another tsp of the baking soda or powder and 1/4 tsp salt if it calls for it.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Would you consider posting your pumpkin cookie recipe? I'd like to try to make some.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:13 AM on Oct. 11, 2009