Is there a nice way to ask for money someone owes you?

MIL and her man owe us $90. They've owed us for a while now, and have conveniently "forgotten" this. I'd say they may really have forgotten, but its become a habit of theirs. The BF is always talking about going gambling their money away when they know they owe DH. I'm ready to scream but its his mom and I'm not getting into that mess. I will if I have to, because we really need the money and they are holding out when they have it but want to use for stupid crap. If I have to speak up, I need THE nicest way possible to say something because she isn't too fond of me to begin with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Why do you have to be NICE? Saying things like "I'm sorry to ask you for the money but..." is bogus. You're NOT SORRY. You did them a favor.

Try this "Hey MIL, you borrowed $90 from me back in ..what ever month.. Are you able to pay it back in full this week, or would you prefer to pay half this week and half when you get your next pay check?"

No "sorry" no "I need it" no excuses --nothing. And you are giving her options. The only option is to pay. You don't have to tell this woman you need the money or why you need it. Not her business. Does the bank ask you why they want your mortgage payment? No. Bc you owe it! No explanation needed!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Just say, So I was thinking since you still owe us the money.. maybe we can come up with some kind of payment plan that every paycheck you give me 30 bucks for three paychecks.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• It's his mom let him handle it. Push him.
    Anonymous

• They borrowed it, you have the right to get it back.  I would say "hey, I'm sorry to spring this on you so suddenly but such and such happened and I really need that money back".   Or something to that effect.  Well, thats what I suggest YOU do.  I would tell that hussy to give me back my money NOW,   ;)

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• You should tell your DH to man up and tell his mother that you need the money NOW...and if he chooses not to then you may have to do it yourself. Just say something like "I know that things are kind of tight for everyone and we have all been busy, but could we get that money back that we loaned you please, we really need it and would appreciate it a lot." If she isn't fond of you as it is don't worry about making her upset, she is obviously not someone you want to associate with much, and i personally do not blame you at all. Any mother that takes money from her SON and then does not pay him back is not very high up in my book of class and maturity...
    Anonymous

• Nope,no nice way! Just be straight forward and to the point. You get paid quicker and fewer resentments get made.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I'd say I'm working on our budget and we're short on some of our bills (or food or whatever) and you could really use the money they owe you NOW. If she says no then ask her when so you can tell your electric company when you can make the payment so they don't shut it off (or water co or whatever)

Answer by admckenzie at 9:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• The ONLY reason I said a nice way, is because I'm not listening to MIL gripe to everyone saying I was rude...even though SHE is rude to be keeping money from her son, DIL and THREE grandchildren just so she can gamble. DH had to go help them AGAIN last night go get their truck cuz it was broke down...at a gambling hall. I screamed when he told me this. He looked at me like I'd lost my mind and I told him that he needs to stop being so worried about his family being mad at him. He says he doesn't want to be an a-hole, but I told him THEY are the ones acting like that by not caring if he's put out, or if he has food on the table. They are all selfish and see him as their go to "hero".
    Anonymous

• Well, yay, DH talked to his mom about the situation, because she immediately started in on how broke they were. He told her that we're broke too and its because everyone counts on him to do their dirty work and they don't appreciate it at all. He also told her that when they hire him to do a job, they need to have the money in hand, that day. Not "we'll get it to you when we get paid." He told her that's why he hasn't been helping them lately. Of course MIL said, "I thought you liked to make extra money" and he said, "its not worth it when you don't pay me and I have to spend all day away from my kids for $40 I may get two weeks later!" So its still a work in progress.
    Anonymous