Is the flu shot a good thing to get when your pregnant?

So my doctor gave me the choice on whether or not to take the flu shot. Now I understand that pregnant women are more prone to getting a flu, but I'm not sure If I want to get it. For one, it's more money, secondly, I've only had the flu once when i was child, and three, which i'm most concerned about is that i've heard that even the newer flu shots can either give you the flu, or give you flu like symptoms, which is bad.
Should i take the flu shot just to be safe?

madamlinwe

Asked by madamlinwe at 10:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I just recently found out that they do not test the flu shots on pregnant women or the babies they carry!!! They recommend the shot because the pregnant women are in more danger from the flu but they really have no idea as to how the shot will affect you or your baby! I wasn't planning on getting the shot anyway, but that only made me more sure. (The package insert from the vaccine has this information on it).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Its VERY VERY VERY important to get BOTH flu shots this year!!! It is a FACT that the flu shot CANNOT give you the flu. What the flu shot shot is, is the flu virus in its dead form. You introduce it into your body so if you do come in contact with the LIVE virus (someone sick with the flu), your body has already created antibodies to kill it off and you won't get sick. I just watched a huge thing on the news about the H1N1 swine flu and they said if you're pregnant and get the swine flu you are 10 times more likely to DIE from it than someone not pregnant. I am sorry but the 30 bucks the flu shot costs is nothing compared to even the THOUGHT of putting my unborn child or myself in danger. My obgyn didn't give me any choice. He told me and my husband we need to get both the regular seasonal flu shot and the h1n1 shot when it becomes available next month. I've been getting the flu shot for 3 years and its very worth it.
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• i got the flu shot when i was pregnant.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I have never gotten the flu shot, even when I was pregnant. My OB wanted me to get one, but I didn't. I didn't get the flu when I was pregnant either. I am thinking about it this year, but I'm not sure.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't. It's a FACT that the flu shot has other risks like Guillain-Barré syndrome name one. They are for a FACT full of harmful chemicals.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You OB cannot force you to get a shot. It's a fact that you can refuse any medical service you want.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2009