horrible tantrums

i have a 2 1/2 n since we got a dog which i though would be great for him since the new baby came he has been acting up sooo much he is picking at the poordog n not listining to a word i say i try to excersize all other dicipline options n leave spanking to the last but i feel like such a horrible mother for doing so but he doesnt care about time out or warnings i know he might be doing this for attention any advice please? how i can help him

mommyto2txboys

Asked by mommyto2txboys at 11:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give the dog back. With competing for attention with the new baby, a dog was the last straw for your little guy.

Wait until he's older and then get another dog.

He needs extra hugs and special attention...not a diversion (dog).
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 11:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I also have a 2 1/2 year old, and when he starts picking on the dog, I will swat his hand to get his attention and tell him that "its not okay." We also have dogs, and our dogs are tolerant of our kids, but when the dogs don't want to be messed with they will nip back, but never bite hard enough to make a mark. If the dog gets tired of it, the dog will let the child know. Good luck with your toddler and the dog :-).
    loveme2

Answer by loveme2 at 3:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I agree entirely with upsydaisy. Your son needs attention, and so do the animal and your baby. I couldn't imagine juggling 2 new family members.

Try to spend some time with your son every day, just you two. Maybe while the little one is sleeping, or while you are nursing. Have your son be your helper. My DD LOVES to help me, with everything! She hands me shirts while Im doing laundry, while Im hanging laundry, she helps scrub the floor (we clean with vinegar so no worry about exposure to chemicals), etc.

And when all else fails, and your son is throwing a TRUE tantrum, put him in his room. After two mins, ask him if he is ready to stop crying and come out. If he is, do something fun and praise his good behavious. If he isn't give him two more minutes, and continue until he IS ready to talk to you and use his words.

HTH
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2009