Ok might have gotten my foodstamps in a bind without thinking...

I am getting foodstamps...I worked a min. wage job for 8 months and did not report it...Started gettin Unemployment...Did not report that either(I know, stupid but its done)...Sent in my quarterly about a week ago...Get a call from my caseworker today saying that she shows I am getting the Unemployment and without thinkin at all I said "No, I am not gettin Unemployment (cause if i didnt report my job then what am I gettin unemployment for). All she said was "ok". What does that mean? What should I do? Call and confess. Which for a while I really didnt know I had to report job cause it wasnt anywhere near the cut off of earnings. But I did learn that I should have reported anyway. So, what should I do. My family needs our foodstamps right now so I can provide proper eating for my son. Please help me. Hard Times...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Dear I hate to be the one to tell you this but it sounds like you have ALREADY messed up your foodstamps.  The caseworker asked because they already know!  Call and report a change although I'm not sure what good it will do since you've already lied.  Maybe telling her that you didn't realize you had to report it will help.  Tell her that you didn't understand what she was asking you.  Oh, and tell her that you thought if you were still under the income restrictions that you didn't know you had to report it! 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• well u can go to jail for fraud u have 10 days to report any changes call asap r loosing foodstamps will be the least of ur worries...they have find ways of finding things out i gurantee she is investigating it further to c if u do have wages unemployment is through the government and food stamps r through the governemnt did u really think they wouldnt find out.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Excuses, excuses, excuses. From your post, you chose not to reveal your income, and now you want a way out. If life was that easy, everybody would be doing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Call your case worker first thing Monday morning and tell her the truth, cuz you can end up paying major fines, prison time, and don't get food stamps in the future, just tell her everything you said here, don't risk it tell them the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Lying on a FS case isn't good. If they take them away from you for lying then you can't feed your family at all. Tell her the truth and fix things before they sanction you. They will just make you repay the ones they overpaid you and they will take it out of your current FS. That's better than jail.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You do realize that you can be jailed for welfare fraud, fined and lose benefits for the rest of your life, in every state in the US? You really need to tell your caseworker the truth and face the sanction and deal with whatever comes your way. I am sorry you are in the mess, but you did cause it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You need to call and fess up... That will get you the best-case scenario outcome for your situation, which will likely be losing your FS. If not, you'll end up with a worst-case outcome, which is something along the lines of jail time or fines.
    Anonymous

• You made a serious mistake. Please call the social worker and tell her the truth. Be sure and tell her you were afraid to tell her about the unemployment when she asked you on the last phone conversation. But...honesty is always the best, even if you do not get teh foodstamps again, at least you might not in trouble with the law. For your safety and your families, please tell the truth.
    ShirleyRN

Answer by ShirleyRN at 6:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You know, I don't condone what U did, but...I understand it. The cost of food has almost doubled since last year, even at Walmart! Living without money is very hard. That is why I went to nursing school when my kids were in school. Anyone can do it these days with grants and student loans. There is no reason for anyone not to go. The Jr. colleges even have child care on site. It is hard for those of us who make decent money, I was on welfare raising a child and it was hardly a living. But, you can make a change yourself. For anyone out there who wants to do it bad enough, it can be done. It is a waste to let life go by and not get some kind of career. Things are not going to get any easier for any of us. Give yourself a fighting chance. The way things are now, it is the smartest move. You may give up some sunny days to study, but your family will benefit for it!
    ShirleyRN

Answer by ShirleyRN at 7:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• OK, thank you ladies. I called this morning and got everything worked out. I appericate all those who gave advice.
    Anonymous