Does anyone else think people make too big of a deal over Halloween? People petitioning Halloween to be an official Holiday Weekend?

I guess it's just not my favorite holiday for many reasons. Have you researched the true history of Halloween? Why do some Christians do it when a lot of it is based on evil and death? It seems like just another reason for marketers to get us to buy things like costumes, candy, stuff for parties and so on. Now people are trying to petition Capitol Hill to make it a Holiday Weekend?! Puleez. Then I want Valentines Day weekend, MLK weekend, and St. Pattys day a weekend too!

Sincerly Yours,
The Halloween Grinch

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• LOL.  Okay, Halloween grinch.  I think it's a bit ridiculous to have Halloween weekend.  But I'll be honest, Halloween is my favorite holiday.  I love Fall.  The pumpkins, the scary movies, the candy.  Thats how we celebrate.  We watch scary movies, eat candy (no trick or treating) and we carve pumpkins.  I like it but not enough to do it for an entire weekend, lol.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Jack o lanterns, do you know what they originated from? People would carve faces into different things and light candles inside, they were to contain the spirits of the dead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Well, since I have no intentions of containing the dead, that really doesn't apply to me.  Put your own spin on things.  What Halloween originated from and what it is today are two completely different things. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• i think making it a holiday weekend is a little much, but i dont see the harm in celebrating the secular parts of Halloween. yes, its commercialized but Valentine's Day is even more so. i mean, V-Day is all about buying things. Halloween may be about evil & death to you, but it isnt to me, & it never has been. there are many many things that have evil backgrounds. our own Christian faith has horrible things in its background too, but we look to the positive of it instead of focusing on the evil that has been done in its name.

but having said all that...im all for St Patty's being a holiday weekend!! its one of my fav holidays, but i guess thats the joy of being Irish :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I think halloween is way to celebrated when Christmas is boycotted by the ACLU in schools!
    where is the boycott of this devil worshipping/celebrating religious holiday? Oh that would be hate speach?the devil might be offended?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Never heard of anyone wanting a weekend for it.

I think people make too big of a deal out of many things. I think people need to take things as is not beat themselves to death over what it may or may not have come from(seeing as how many take biased sources to get their information). Have a little fun, loosen up a little and stop taking everything as a possible road to hell.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Isn't Halloween already a holiday? Someone wants to make it longer? That's a bit much; but I do love this time of year.

I don't see it as evil; though. And as for it's origins in pagan superstitions...aren't most Christian holidays?? Just sayin'...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• "they were to contain the spirits of the dead"

That would depend on which region you're talking about. Some did it to ward off and confuse the dead; to protect them from the spirits they believed to be walking the earth on that night...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Here is how I see it. Halloween marks a very sacred day for many of us. Samhain is one of the biggest Sabbats of the year for most Pagans and in light of that fact, if other holidays get a weekend so should Halloween... Millions of people that don't celebrate Christmas have extra days of from work or school for it because it is one of the biggest Christian (as well as secular) holidays of the year. Halloween is the same way, or at least should be, IMO. It's celebrated by billions of people every year whether they are Pagan, Christian, Buddhist or Athiest most people at least hand out candy. So, why not make officially as important as Christmas?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

You know, around here it's the opposite. None of the schools do anything for Halloween because so many parents see it as "evil" but they all do big Christmas parties... The last week before Christmas vacation all the elementary schools just watch movies and the HS usually does something special every day too... (Dress like Santa Day or Christmas toy drives)

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2009