At what age should you stop burping babies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Usually once they can situp on their own, they're good.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• I think I stopped really burping my little one around 6-8 months or so. You will notice your little one starting to burp on their own also. For me it just kinda happened that I was no longer burping her. She wouldn't fuss after a bottle and I would forget that I didn't stop and take the time to do so (I have an older child also so things can be a little crazy) and a little while later she would let out a burp on her own. I hope that answered your question.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 12:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• i think any baby thats drinking a bottle needs to be kinda burped but not like a whole lot. a newborn obviously needs to be burped with every ounce but once an older baby is not spitting up or crying with gas pains, its not that necessary. my son is 9 months and if he drinks a whole 8 oz without stopping, i sometimes hold him and pat his back, and just see if he will burp or not. he doesn't really cry if i dont though, so i dont worry about it.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You don't have to burp them any more once they start burping on their own, usually just by being sat up. For my son, that was about 5 months. My daughter is 6 months and still has to be burped sometimes, but not every time. It depends on the baby. Also, burping isn't always necessary; if there's no discomfort, there's probably no need to burp.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2009