Do you think babies remember anything before the age of 3? What do you think is the youngest age a kid can start remembering?

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my earliest memories are from age 2. . .
    ambergrace612

Answer by ambergrace612 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My earliest memory my Mom said was an occurrence that happened before I turned 2.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:06 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I have always been told you can have memories from when you are under 3 but they are a sensory memory (a feeling, sound, smell) not something you could easily explain in words to someone else because your memory isn't connected to words to explain what you were sensing. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else but that was what I was told.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 12:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I have a memory of standing in a metal crib, crying, with a big stuffed poodle in the crib, a cart with trays outside of the door, the room was dark, and I could see my uncle walking in the parking lot to his car. My mom says I was about 18 months old, and in the hospital. I have a lot of memories when I was very small, mostly just a picture in my head.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:19 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Gosh, I hope my 2 year old can't remember finding us naked in bed almost every day...
    Yikes!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• how young were you when you could first remember things? I was about 3 years old, I think its different for everyone, and I think it depends on the memory or recollection.
    loveme2

Answer by loveme2 at 2:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My earliest memory is when I was two, but I don't remember very much from that far back. Around 5 it's much clearer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• My earliest memory is 2 1/2, going to the hospital to see my sister when she was born.

At my son's 15 month check-up, he remembered the doctor's office (and everything that went with it), from 12 months. I doubt he'll remember in years to come, but he's remembered at visits since. I'm not sure if that's the kind of remembering you're talking about, or memories we have as adults from when we were little.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Children are more"affected" by things which can have repercussions later on in life. As for remembering, later on, I would agree with the poster who acknowledged sense memories. BTW, OP. Why do you ask?

Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2009