good hair dye?

My husband loves dark hair (I do too) but my hair won't stay dark for more than 2 weeks. It will hold Blonde forever (it's naturally dirty blonde/light brown) But to dye it dark brown, it only stays for a little while before lightening up. Does anyone have any idea what would be a good dye?

Zacherysmommy08

Asked by Zacherysmommy08 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• You could try aplying a toner before you clor your hair. Thats what i always have to do when i go dark...natureal blonde and dark colors never stick with me. Ill color my hair almost black and a few weeks later its a light brown...i dont get it but the toner worked for me. I also get my supplys at a beauty store. But like PP said you have to be careful alot of the girls dont know what they are doing. I have done color for a long time so i know alot of it but i still run things by a friend of mine to make sure i get the right things so i dont mess up my hair...good luck with your color
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• go and get it done and see if it holds, and if it does you might just have to pay the extra money to keep it dark...my hair doesnt hold well to at-home-hair dyes either.
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 12:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Go to a professional. Store color is a very high volume of developer and is very hard on the hair. When going dark you only need around a 10 or 5 volume developer, they mix those box colors with 30 vol to cover grey. Your cuticle remains open and the artificial pigment falls out that' s why it doesn't stay. If you must color yourself go to Sally Beauty Supply and buy a Demi Permanent color. It lasts just as long as permanent color(and about all I use on people with dark hair), and doesn't permanently alter the structure or health of the hair.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I get my hair dye at the beauty supply store, talk to the ladies there and they should help you out, I buy the wella brand hair dye and I get the permanent color, if it's not permanent it wont stay in your hair longer then a couple weeks,
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• That's not true! I am a professional. If you use permanent color too many times it strips your cuticle and it can't hold the color.Not all the staff at supply store are licensed or educated. Many have been given bad info and paid for it later. Be careful! I am a corrective color specialist! I see things everyday! Most of my fixits are self inflicted or from beauty supply stores not professional(although - have a few!)
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• What seff107 said is so true. WHen I switched from blonde to dark I was using semi permanent color. But over the years since my hair got so grey I use permanent.But definitely shop around and don't buy color from a drugstore! Too harsh and way too ashy for blondes and too strong for dark.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I color my hair and frost my hair often, have been for years. After dying your hair do not wash for two days at least. Use shampoo for color treated hair. On most days when you would shampoo try just conditioning.
    dmr73059

Answer by dmr73059 at 3:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Thanks ladies. I have gotten it professionally done.... it lasted about 2 weeks also. My hair just doesn't take dark colors. The lady that did my hair said it would lighten up though because of my hair color. Just wondering if there was any out there that would actually last a little while where I didn't have to dye my hair a million times. I guess it's natural color for me! :) lol
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2009