Raising abiracial child and being white

We have just taken custody of my sons biracial child. She is four. My son is incarcerated. Yes, we are angry with him but still love him. My question is I have no clue what to do with her hair. It is quite long, matted and seems very dry. I have no clue how to treat, fix or deal with her hair. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I think I found a salon that specializes in black hair but it is 10 days before they have an appt. open. Part od me just wants to clip all the mess off short..but I'm really lost. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I used to babysit two biracial girls and we always used luster Pink hair moisturizer. They have it in a cream and an oil and it works really well AND the best part is----they sell it everywhere, walmart, beauty supply stores, even family dollar!!! Once she gets a little older you can start doing the relaxers, but until then...I think you should learn how to braid! You use that moisturizer and comb it out the braid it and they are good for up to a week!! I can give you some style suggestios or try to walk you through the braiding process if you would like...let me know how it goes!
    lynda_dora

Answer by lynda_dora at 9:15 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Loreal has a great childrens curly hair shampoo that leaves the hair soft and give the curls a nice bounce .
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Get a detangler, and take it easy on her hair. Don't even think about brushing it! lol There is a product for ethnic children called "Just For Me" detangler, and it's sold at Target and Walmart (and other stores I'm sure). I use it for MY biracial daughter's hair.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I like Palmers Oil Spray.  It does wonders for frizzy hair!  My daughters curls frizz up SO much and this is what I've found to help it.  Redken works nicely also if you can swing the price.  Use a wide tooth comb.  If need be, put a relaxer in her hair.  After we had tried everything, we decided to put a relaxer in her hair.  It worked like a charm.  Her hair is still curly but manageable now. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Here is a photo of the product:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/store/product/product_details.jsp?id=prod11666
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:35 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I use Dejavu cuticle oil on my daughters easily matted hair and she is white but it does work well! dead sea salts in it and lots of great oils their hair is so easy to comb now!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Thank you all SO much. The detangler helped a lot. I didn't have time to do much with it before church so I wrapped a scarf around her head. I also made a new friend at church. She comes alone so I had no idea her grown children were biracial. She is going to come over and show me how to braid her hair. Again. THANKS!
    Anonymous