Being told "that's normal" is getting on my nerves...

The last few days I have had very watery bowels & then the vomiting started. I figured I was close even though I still asked here LOL. Last night I ended up throwing up for hours, every single sip of water came right back out until finally I slid into a sleep around 4am. Today I called L&D because of a fluid issue I had questions with (some may have seen yesterday's question about that). They said it was urgent that I come in right away. I get there & informed them of the vomiting & diarrhea also, they seemed rather concerned. The L&D nurse seemed shocked when she looked at my chart saying "Wow! You actually made it to term? That is very lucky with all your medical ailments! I'd be shocked if he lasts another few hours!". They sent me to the ultrasound & when the results came, all they said was that it was low but "normal". I asked about the sickness, again "oh that's normal". I asked about my BP (it was 141/84) ...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 5 is the number of AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index) you'll want to stay above, it is very low for you.
    Drinking a LOT of water (IF possible) is important.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:06 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• cont'd...they said "you have pregnancy related hypertension, so it's normal to be a little high, just keep an eye on it". It seemed like "normal" was the only answer they could give me for anything! Okay, so it's normal, can I please get a lil more?!?! If everything is so "normal" why the hell do they keep wanting to do tests & check up on me?? Is it just my hormones making this whole "normal" thing seem like a bunch of shit?? I'm getting so fucking frustrated (excuse my language)! Any advice from the mommies out there??
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• They can't do anything unless it's out of the "normal" zone. It would be a liability. I was that sick my entire pregnancy. There is nothing they can do but make sure you don't dehydrate. Sorry hun...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• hahaha lol i get it too! dont you just want to explain that somehow its not just "normal"
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Yeah I am sure some of it is the hormones but some of it is the fact you come in they act like there is a minor crisis cause you are having this issue and that then come back and say "ah it's ok it's normal" Well if it was so normal why did you seem concerned when I came it?! More so when the problems still havn't stopped. Take a deep breath and ask what options are opent to you to help with you getting sick and if there is anything else they could suggest that you do to be more comfortable. I hope things get better for you.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 12:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Actually it isn't NORMAL. It is normal for what ailment that you have for you to be experiencing these symptoms. Your situation is not the normal for pregnancy and you may not experience it with the next one. I don't know your situation.
    What I do know is that ANYONE who is pregnant and continually vomiting or having diarrea should be watched carefully.
    I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. Good luck with the birth. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Sorry. :-(
    Did you ever find out how low your fluid level was?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:08 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I think they between 5 & 6 if I remember correctly...between 5 & 6 what? I don't know, but apparently it's "low but normal".
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Ooops...I meant to say "I think they SAID between 5 & 6".
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• if your not allergic to any meds of any sort my hospital had wrote a prescription for "Ondansetron orally disintegrating tablet usp 8mg " put it under your tounge and it dicinigrates and it helps with the being sick all the time. then my actual OBGYN perscribed me with Promethazine whitch is the same except its a pill that you take with milk and its much better no bad after taste!

just see and they could help you i know they did me i had morning sickness till i was almost 7 months it sucked and it just came back like 2 weeks ago so its just so dang thrilling.
    kristi_prncess_

Answer by kristi_prncess_ at 8:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2009