Is it safe to get a tattoo when breatfeeding ?

kieramommy

Asked by kieramommy at 12:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no, wait until after you are finished BFing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• the only reason it should be avoided is because of the increased risk of infection. if you go to a clean place that uses new ink and needles for every client, you should be fine.you also have to be sure to take proper care of the tattoo to avoid infections. i got a tattoo when my dd was 5 months old and i healed fine, no issues for either of us. just use common sense when choosing the shop.
    RVTMommy

Answer by RVTMommy at 12:40 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Everything I have read says if you go to a reputable place, there is no risk. I got one while BFing. My son was like 5 months old though too like a PP.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Yes it is safe as long as you go to a reputable place and take care of the new tattoo properly.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:24 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I woulds say no b/c our skin is our largest organ and there have been no studies done yet.

I would go with better be safe than sorry and wait until the baby weans.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I got a tattoo when my son was 4 months old.... I made sure the shop was safe and have had no problems.... Just make suren you take care of it and I probably wouldn't get a large tattoo
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• There's a lot of debate and really nothing definitive.

Here's the thing. A tattoo is forever. And what's the worst that can happen if you wait? That you'll change your mind? Is that really a bad thing? **grin**

With the jury out on the safety, it's something I'd wait on. You might have trouble finding anyone to do it for you anyway.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• As far as I know, it is safe. The risk is that baby gets a disease, but this risks drops if you go somewhere that is reputable, and clean.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2009