no witches or devils for halloween???

i think this is very....what's the word....i think ironic would be used correctly here lol....that my MIL's church is having a trunk or treat thing Halloween night but the kids can't dress anything like witches or satanic, but Halloween is a holiday based on death. lol

Mrs.Loeffel

Asked by Mrs.Loeffel at 1:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Holidays

• Lol well that's stupid! Honestly why I hate churches..controlling wtf the kids wear on a holiday about death?! *smh*
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• exactly! some people are just weird lmao
    Mrs.Loeffel

Answer by Mrs.Loeffel at 1:11 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Shit I went into arbys today and they had "bloody body parts" all around! Lol..
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:15 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• .... so no witchs or devils, or anything bloody, if you really wanted to make a statement dress one of your kids up as jesus have the bloodied wrists... see how they react to that... not only is halloween a holiday based on death, but so are countless religions, the death of our savior, the death of innocence etc..
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 2:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Its all hollows eve
    the night the spirts come back to earth.
    It IS a church so I dont think they would want to offend the very christan people OF THEIR CHURCH with satanic crap.
    all hollows eve isnt an evil holiday.
    but some of these costumes these days are a bit much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I don't let my kids dress up in scary costumes or anything like that - when they were younger, and even now that they're teens, or as witches.

My reasoning is because 1) I think it's a fun - and for my family - secular - holiday, and it's for kids - and I hate to see the little ones freaked out and crying because of the scary costumes. 2) I'm a Christian and I don't think we need to dress up as devils. 3) I have some very good friends that are Pagan, and I don't want to mock or disrespect the religious aspects of the holiday for them - so no parodies of witches.

However, I do have to admit, I've never really seen the reasoning of thinking Trick or Treat (dressing up and getting candy from neighbors you know) is evil, but doing a Harvest Fest or a Trunk or Treat (where you get dressed up and get candy from church members) is somehow better. Unless it's to keep the little ones from being freaked out by the scary stuff.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:42 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• This holiday is where kids get to poke fun at all the things their afraid of-monsters, our desire to be naughty, death... We as adults do too. I think it is healthy as opposed to repressing these human characteristics. Repression doesn't stop us from feeling destructive. Instead we need to find healthy ways of channeling our fears and aggression, Halloween is one great way to do this.
    Kriste99n

Answer by Kriste99n at 7:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I completely don't understand this question! It's a CHURCH, for cryin' out loud!! Why would they want kids dressing up like Satan?? Honestly....it's just out of respect, people!! And my LO is very afraid of the scary costumes.....so it is nice to know that there are some places I can take him where he won't have to see them.
    TristansMom440

Answer by TristansMom440 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2009

• It is a CHURCH. Also, witch and other scary costumes are pretty scary for little kids and they could be avoiding screaming little kids and want them to have fun instead. We don't allow any scary costumes, any masks, or weapons of any kind for Halloween at the preschool I teach at.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I think people should just respect other people's views on the subject. Maybe they just want the kids @ the church to have fun dressing up,but without all the scary evil crap! BTW trick or treating origionated in England when the poor,hungry and homeless would wear masks on Hallows Eve going door to door begging for scraps.I did not get that info off the net. Also jack o lanterns are meant to carry spirits of the dead and demons, that's where they origionated from. Also most churches have a Harvest Celebration Not a Halloween Party! I highly doubt a christian church would even use the word Halloween in the title of the get together.
    Anonymous